The progress of science has been detrimental rather than beneficial to mankind.W

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. gajanis786 profile image84
    gajanis786posted 13 years ago

The progress of science has been detrimental rather than beneficial to mankind.What are your views?

2. saanj H profile image60
    saanj Hposted 13 years ago

That depends entirely on every individual's perception. i feel science has benefited mankind. on the same footing I also agree that there have been detrimental consequences of science to mankind. Nevertheless, the benefits suppress the losses

3. chspublish profile image76
    chspublishposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure what is meant by 'detrimental'. so I'm having difficulty trying to give a very open answer.
    My understanding of ourselves as human beings on this planet is, that we are governed by the laws of nature. As we find out more and more about how we work as a speices and how the rest of the species and planet works, I see the benefits to us all and the knowledge therein.
    I would come from the position that knowing is better than not knowing. Ignorance is not bliss. Ignorance is dangerous.
    I would rather make discoveries from experiments and knowledge rather than rely on hearsay and runour and stories.
    Science, I believe, has helped to advance our living time on the planet - that has to be a favorable thing as we can make more and more use of our brain power for understanding and our ability to be compassionate about the order of things on this planet. We make mistakes but we also try to learn from mistakes. It's the trying that counts.
    By'detrimental' do you mean destructive and a disregard of natural laws and the order of things? Or are you talking about the place of God in our lives?
    Expanding conscious awareness has to be our goal as we get more and more familiar with how things work. As we increase our knowledge and finiding out, I believe we will increase our knowledge and understanding of a Source of All.
    I believe we're on a mission of finding out over the millenia of time and we must coinduct ourselves in an orderly fashion and focus our attention. That's when we do our best finding out. We have much to do and a long way to go. So onward.
    What do you think? Thanks for the question.

4. bheem profile image65
    bheemposted 13 years ago

anything has its own merits besides some demerits. Even if you are able to ask this question on the net to so many viewers it was due to progress of science :-)

Spirituality is thought to be good for mankind but it is also responsible for growth of terrorists, religious conflicts etc.

So it depends upon us how we use anything because even a rose plant has roses along with thorns on the same branch. But we select roses instead of thorns............

5. n.pady profile image57
    n.padyposted 13 years ago

these are 2 sides of the same coin. there are benefits and also disadvantages. if we keep thinking about both the sides, then i think we will never be able to achieve anything or make any kind of progress

6. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

which part of science? we can heal diseases that used to be a death sentence so i see that as a possitive things.

7. Wayne Brown profile image79
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

I do not think the progress of "true science" has been detrimental to mankind. I believe there are many among us who want to employ principles of "psuedo-science" and use the results as pure fact in the directions we pursue. Nowhere was that more obvious than Al Gore and his cronies attempting to sway the public with their environmental skew. Too many of these so-called activist organization that profess to only care about our planet, our environment, our whales, etc. seem to follow the same path in passing the collection plate around very frequently.  Those who direct these organizations live the high life in too many cases off of money they have collected from some rather naive but wishful thinking victims. WB

8. Jarn profile image61
    Jarnposted 13 years ago

Statistically speaking, you would be dead right now were it not for the advances of medical science. Vaccines, transplants, cancer treatments, antibiotics, surgery of all kinds. It keeps people alive, so saying the progresses of science have been detrimental to mankind is only a point of view you can take from the species as a whole. Darwin's theory of evolution being what it is, medical science allows unhealthhy people survive long enough to pass on their genetics, true enough. But from an individual's perspective, science is beneficial. It makes our lives easier in every way. If a family member has been close to death and saved, can you honestly say you would prefer the science that saved his/her life didn't exist?

9. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Wow.  I would definitely disagree with this thinking.  There are some negative consequences that have resulted from some things associated with scientific advancement; but, for the most part, I think mankind if far, far, better off with today's scientific advancements, as compared to how things were before science made the progress it has.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)