How Does Creationism Prohibit Scientific Progress?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Asa2141 profile image66
    Asa2141posted 9 years ago

How Does Creationism Prohibit Scientific Progress?

"Atheists" are always claiming that Creationism or Creationists prohibit scientific progress, yet fail to give any concrete examples or reasons. Your thoughts?

2. Link10103 profile image59
    Link10103posted 9 years ago

Hmm? I have an incredibly basic knowledge of Creationism and I can give you a concrete example of it impeding scientific progress.

It is human nature to know "why", whether it be as (sorta) simple as why the sky is blue or something complex as to why the universe was created.
    Creationism claims that god created everything does it not? That is a pretty simple explanation for things, but it fails to hold up when delved deeper into. Why did god create everything? Typical answer to that is either for reasons unknown to us or because he loves us. An answer that doesnt actually answer anything, pretty convenient is it not? Creationism is a claim that everything was created by a divine deity, but there is absolutely nothing that backs that up outside of a singular source that was written thousands of years ago. To simply accept something as fact when there is nothing that points to it being fact goes against human's inquisitive nature.

Evolution goes a much farther way of explaining the world than creationism does, but even that has holes in it. At least evolution can be proven to an extent and any scientist worth his salt would willingly admit that it does not explain everything for certain, whereas creationism attempts to.

If everyone were to just accept that "god made everything" and call it a day, we probably wouldnt be as advanced of a civilization that we are now. Why bother trying to understand the world and the things around us when we "know" god made everything and that everything happens for a reason? There wouldnt be, so progress comes to a halt and we remain the same, never advancing our knowledge of the world, the universe, and mankind in general.

Was that specific enough? Again, I have limited knowledge of Creationism and even Evolution as well, so one can't really say my answer is biased, yet I was still able to piece that together. And on the slight chance that you or anyone else jumps the gun and assume negative biased things, no I am not an atheist.

1. profile image0
      Daveadamposted 9 years agoin reply to this

God & mother nature created the world together, & this is the trial run or our one chance to learn, & hopefully grow into something worth giving eternal life to. :-)

2. Asa2141 profile image66
      Asa2141posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually, by studying science you are looking into the design of a Deity. What a motivation!

If we are all just a bunch of chemical accidents that gives us very little incentive to advance anything. Just eat drink and be merry!

3. Link10103 profile image59
      Link10103posted 9 years agoin reply to this

And even if that is the case, why is that a bad thing Asa? You live your life, be happy, and die. Simple.

3. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 9 years ago

Where did any atheist ever claim that?

By itself it does nothing. The only time or way it would inhibit scientific progress is if it is put in a science classroom and students' time is wasted on learning it, when that time could be spent on actual science.

4. profile image0
    fit2dayposted 9 years ago

One reason creationism isn't taught in schools, is because it gives glory to God. Evolution esteems man as being supreme, hence why the most respected and credible scientists are usually evolutionists. Atheism has proven throughout history to make progress, but heartless, massive killings is the wrong kind of progress.
    What is a creationist? Think about it, if you put a bunch of kids together, who had been orphaned from birth together, you would expect them to know they had parents. But, what if some of them concluded that their parents never existed and they just appeared their or maybe appeared from a puddle of water. Would the kids who believed they had parents be called parentists?

In the term of 'changes overtime', yes, my wedding ring has evolved to a piece of metal with much less time, but I'd be crazy to say those changes are how it came to be. I don't know who made this ring, but someone did.
    As for scientific progress, please I'm stating the following as fact, not to be in anyway insensitive to reality. Mankind has managed to build weapons of mass destruction, alter the DNA of seeds in such a way that make peanuts as much a concern as cocaine. There's constant talk of curing disease, but instead more people are infected as a result of these scientific progressions.

I'm a parentists and a creationist, but I'm a grateful believer in Jesus Christ. It's not enough to believe that God created everything and to go a step further it's not enough for people to simply go to church and say they believe in Jesus Christ. I'm a grateful believer because Christ loved me and gave Himself for me. When God's grace came to me and I stopped running from Him, stopped trying to hold on to the fact that I'd gone to church all my life and everyone else thought I was a Christian, that's when I received Christ as my personal Savior and the burden of my sin was lifted.
    So ultimately any progression apart from Christ is a progression to more and more evil as evident in the fact that we have to think about the fact that our children face the same danger going to school each day as our law enforcement does going to work each day.

1. Link10103 profile image59

Fit... Care to provide a source that explains these heartless, mass killings you speak of that were apparently done in the name of atheism?

2. lone77star profile image72
      lone77starposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Creationism" isn't the only method of giving glory to God. And it's a scientifically poor way to do it. Glory based on a lie is not the best way to do it. And you can't find Truth unless you have the humility of a good scientist. Short supply

3. Asa2141 profile image66

Link-Hitler and Robespierre were atheists. Tens of millions slaughtered between them. Lonestar-all I see is more broad, unproved accusations by an atheist. But Hitler said if you tell a lie over and over people will eventually accept it...

4. Link10103 profile image59

I disagree with most of what lone says, but he is the farthest thing from an atheist.
      As for Hitler and Rob where did they ever say they killed in the name of atheism? Hitler drank water and so do you, does that mean you are just as evil as he was?

5. James R Cullin profile image60
      James R Cullinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"We tolerate no one in our ranks who attacks the ideas of Christianity ... in fact our movement is Christian."
      -Adolf Hitler, 27 October 1928

6. profile image0
      fit2dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

James R Cullin, Hitler was about as Christian as Satan. Do you think the devil deceives people by telling the truth. You don't believe the truth God says of Himself, yet you believe Hitler?

7. Link10103 profile image59

Fit, Hitler was baptized. His numerous Bible related speaches aside,  he was a Christian on paper. A lot easier to believe Hitler, since he was an actual person and all

8. Asa2141 profile image66

To gain public credit, Hitler proclaimed all the time he was Christian, but in his private diaries, he reviled Christians and Christianity. Moreover, his actions prove what he really believed. Read the book "Bonhoeffer".

9. Link10103 profile image59

And what did he really believe in, Asa? Because atheism is not something you believe in and are capable of killing in the name of.

10. Asa2141 profile image66

His idea of a Master Race was rooted in atheism. If you believe we are all created in the image of God, we are all equal. But if we are all a bunch of chemical accidents then the idea of weeding out the "weaker kind" makes perfect sense.

11. Link10103 profile image59

Atheism is not a cause, so again that makes no sense. And if we are all created in gods image and are equal...why are gay people still not able to marry in most states?

12. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Asa - show me where Atheists state they want a Master Race?  The only people aside from Hitler who have anything like that are the KKK - and errr...they're Christian. But I wouldn't judge all Christians on them...why do it if Hitler may hv bn an athe

13. Asa2141 profile image66

Atheism is a belief (or non-belief). The Master Race was a cause that sprang from that belief (or the results of the non-belief). Killing out the weaker species makes sense. We see it in nature.

14. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Even if we were to agree that the Master Race arose from atheism (which is asinine) there are millions of atheists who find the notion abhorrent. If you choose to cling to the one over the vast many, that is your own willful idiocy.

15. Link10103 profile image59

The hypocrisy is so astounding I am at a loss for words.

16. Asa2141 profile image66

Atheists may not agree with Hitler, but that wasn't the point. Ideas like the Master Race sprang from atheism. Morality just becomes what everyone agrees on under atheism. So if millions of Nazis agree killing Jews is good, then it is moral.

17. Link10103 profile image59

And sex trafficking, discrimination of homosexuals, and slavery abuse sprang from the bible...
      Is there a reason you seem to be trying to crucify atheism while ignoring the very obvious negatives of christianity/other religions, Asa?

18. junkseller profile image78

Maybe in an alternate universe. In this universe, those millions of Nazis you mention weren't atheists. Germany was predominantly Christian in 1939 (95%), as was most of the Nazi Party. The Romanian Iron Guard was heavily religious, etc.

19. Asa2141 profile image66

The point is that you CAN and people HAVE killed in the name of atheism, which you said was impossible. As the leaders of the French Revolution said to justify their kiling of clergymen "We are throwing off the shackles of religion to embrace Reason"

20. junkseller profile image78

No one said it was impossible. It just isn't anywhere near the norm as you are trying to make it out to be. Not even close. Since you seem completely unwilling to be honest about it, there isn't much else to say.

21. Asa2141 profile image66

Link said you are not capable of killing in the name of atheism. Try reading the previous comments before YOU comment. I guess staying on point is not "being honest".

22. junkseller profile image78

No, Link said you can't believe in atheism, hence can truly do nothing in its name. You only said that people kill in the name of atheism, which might be true, it doesn't mean they actually are. No one said what YOU said was impossible. Get it?

23. Link10103 profile image59

Even if people have killed "in the name of atheism" (is there anyway for you to prove this?), to say I killed such and such for atheism still makes no sense. There is no cause to kill for, you cannot claim it was for a cause that doesnt exist.

24. Asa2141 profile image66

Of course they don't exclaim "I'll kill you in the name of atheism!" But their justification for killing is rooted in their belief system of atheism. The entire deChristianization campaign of the Frnch Revluton was justified by "reason over religion"

25. Link10103 profile image59

Again, feel free to prove your second sentence at any time with sources. You can have reason and be religious at the same time. Following religion and being blind to most logic is what is dangerous and probably what prompted reason over religion.

26. Asa2141 profile image66

Read chapter 7 in the book "Demonic" for the French Revolution, and read "Bonhoeffer" regarding Hitler and the Master Race movement.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

Science is all about asking questions. Why is the sky blue, why does the wind blow, why does that dog look so much different than that other dog? Finding the answers to those questions is scientific progress. So, it makes sense that, in order to encourage further progress, you must encourage children to ask questions about the world around them.

Creationism is the opposite of that. It is a finite answer to a seemingly infinite question. It teaches people to be content with not knowing and proves to be a dead end for scientific thinking. If we assume that god, or a creator, is any part of the equation (without sufficient evidence) then we're fudging the data: pushing it in one direction without letting the results speak for themselves. The two cannot go hand in hand because they teach opposing ways of thinking. One that always asks questions and seeks new answers, and another that argues there is only one answer.

Actually, if you believe the world was created by God, you have a HUGE incentive to advance science (such as medicine) in order to help people.
      If we all came from chemical accidents, why bother advancing anything? Just eat, drink and be merry!

2. M. T. Dremer profile image84
      M. T. Dremerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why advance medicine if those who die go to eternal happiness in heaven? There would be no reason postpone death. In an atheistic universe, survival is our incentive. We've only got this one life, so lets make it a good (and long) one.

6. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

It doesn't. Scientists get along just fine without even considering "creationism."

God created physical reality. Science does an excellent job studying physical reality. Things get a little bent with self-concern (ego).

Creationism is self-concern on steroids. Ego is the source of all evil, and thus Creationism is feeding the evil of the world. Talk about upside-down and inside out. Is this something the Anti-Christ would do?

You can tell because Creationism spends too much of its time protecting its "sacred" worldview rather than merely spreading the Love that Christ talked about.

Creationism has science all wrong! Take creationist Walt Brown's book, for instance. It's chock full of erroneous arguments against traditional science. Brown cites the "eye" as one of the organs that prove evolution is invalid. He says that the eye is perfect and that there are no half-done eyes. What about a snail? It can't see shapes or discern colors. All it can do is to tell how bright the sun is. It's eyes are less than half-developed.

Mr. Brown also states that there is no proof of life in the universe other than that on Earth. He points to the failure to find life on the Moon and on Mars. Oops! Mr. Brown is revealing his ignorance, here. The Moon? Does he know that the Moon doesn't have an atmosphere? Does he know that life requires air and water to exist? Duh! But not only that, he misses the huge fact that we have not touched upon any other star system than our own and there are at least several sextillion potential suns out there.

Creationism makes a mockery out of logical debate.

Not only that, Creationism makes a mockery out of biblical study. Truth resides in the Bible, but not in the literal word. Just read 2 Corinthians 3:6, where it warns against taking the letter, for it leads to death. Only the spirit of scripture leads to life everlasting.

Scientists are in the nasty habit of ignoring things that don't make sense to them. This is not a good thing, but in the case of creationism, it works out pretty well. Creationism has nothing of value to offer anyone, especially the believer.

God is love, and that does not fit the description of creationism.

But you are discrediting the Biblical account by rejecting Creationism.

Just because one Creationist made a fool of himself does not mean the Creator is stupid.

7. Old-Empresario profile image70
    Old-Empresarioposted 9 years ago

It's always been this way going back to when it was considered blasphemous to say that the earth revolved around the sun instead of vice versa. It seems to take about a hundred years before Christians finally back down from a stance in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence. Seriously, the entire academic community, Western Europe and even the mainstream corporate networks and media outlets have accepted the scientific explanations and evidence for how the universe was created (or at least how the earth was created). The Christians have produced no scientific evidence that has not been created by man. The radical Christian response to this losing battle?--pull all of their kids out of school and teach them that the Flintstones is historically accurate. If one refuses to accept scientific evidence without producing a scientific argument, then we are losing scientific progress. We go back to before the days of the Enlightenment and back to the Dark Ages of superstition. Maybe Heaven is real. I don't know. But we do know how old the earth is and how it was created. I 'm embarrassed that it's still being argued in the 21st Century.

I don't fully understand this comment. If you are looking for answer google AIG for how science fits into the Bible. The Website and their magazine is great!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)