Earthquakes or Hurricanes? Where would you rather live?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Joelle Burnette profile image70
    Joelle Burnetteposted 14 years ago

Being from California, I'm mostly used to earthquakes. I say "mostly" because the 1989 Loma Prieta quake was the first time I thought I might actually die. I was taking refuge under the table in my office at the time and had never felt such a rockin' and rollin' quake like that. In my head, I said my goodbyes to my family when the room went completely dark and book shelves and their contents were falling down around us. Half way through the quake, I assumed my dad was already dead. He was high up in one of the all glass highrises downtown in San Francisco's financial district and I figured there was no way the building would survive. I'm glad I was wrong.

Still, I don't think I'd trade my quakes for hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms and the like in other parts of the country.

So, where would you rather live? Quakes, hurricanes, etc.?

2. Rockwell Fitness profile image59
    Rockwell Fitnessposted 14 years ago

I've lived through earthquakes in California
    Blizzards in New York
    Tornado in Pennsylvania
    Hurricane in North Carolina
    Sand Storm in California
    Wild Fires in California...

I'll take Volcanoe eruption in Hawaii

3. Curious Traveller profile image69
    Curious Travellerposted 14 years ago

A very difficult question for a Briton to answer, having no experience of either.

We live in a country which has very little detectable seismographic activity or weather extremes.

Given the choice, therefore, I am afraid that we would have to opt for neither!

4. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

I'd opt for the last option - none of the above!

5. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

I live basically in the middle of Tornado country. We are under various Tornado watches and warnings from March to October, give or take. They can be scary, but having abasement and knowing what to watch for helps. I can honestly say I would not want to have to deal with quakes, fires, hurricanes etc. We had a smallish to medium quake here a few months ago, butthey are pretty rare.

6. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

Right here will do me nicely, thank you very much! smile

7. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I live in Florida. I think I have gone through about a dozen hurricanes. Hurricane Andrew I was 5. We've lost power for weeks at a time when it was 100 degrees outside. We have "hurricane days" at school. I know it sounds crazy, but I love it here so much.

8. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 14 years ago

Of the two choices, hurricanes.  At least you have a day or two to get prepared or evacuate.  No warning whatsoever with earthquakes. I experienced a tiny tremor once that lasted about 45 seconds.  That was more than enough to make me never want to be in SoCal or SF during a quake!

9. sunstreeks profile image79
    sunstreeksposted 14 years ago

Washington seems to be a pretty safe state relative to the others for natural disasters.. Biggest worry in the Puget sound is Mount Rainier blowing up in the next 10,000 years. Earthquakes are a potential threat but rarely occur with enough severity to cause structural damage. I think flooding is probably the worst thing for some.

I'll take my chances with the potential earthquake and volcano threat.. I would'nt live anywhere else.

10. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

I'm a New Zealander and a geologist.
    Without a doubt - earthquake - but in a western country with a strong building code California and NZ have some of the best - though prieta Loma showed up some problems with the freeway system in CA. I've been thru several and they are no big deal - that said there were a few old buildings in Wellington that I would never live in...

Hurricanes/tornados whatever - I saw what happened in Darwin - the museum there is amazing - warnings did not help the people of New Orleons.

The scariest though are bushfires - and there are large parts of Australia I wouldn't live in because of that - nearly 200 died in Victoria - within a few hours drive of Melbourne. Bushfires are erratic, can be caused by humans and you are very dependent on authorities warning systems.

Earthquakes they just have to dig you out afterwards - most countries can manage that LOL

11. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

Volcanoes are very easy to predict they usually gives weeks of notice - the people most likely to get killed by them? Geologists - seriously LOL

1. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And you chose this profession why???? cool

12. laringo profile image60
    laringoposted 14 years ago

It's not a matter of where I live really because disasters can happen almost anywhere.  If I had to choose it makes sense to go with what gives you advance information so you can prepare somewhat. Obviously in a earthquake,they just happen. I just hope for the best and wish for none.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)