jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How many languages do you speak? Do you consider it important to know a variety

1. Cordlessaccount profile image64
    Cordlessaccountposted 7 years ago

How many languages do you speak? Do you consider it important to know a variety of languages?

2. Spongy0llama profile image92
    Spongy0llamaposted 7 years ago

I speak two languages; English and German, and I am going to learn Spanish and Swedish over the summer.

I think it is very important to know a variety of languages. It gives you significant cognitive advancement or one thing, and for another, the door is opened in a whole new way to a foreign literary and oral tradition/discourse.

3. Zazuzu profile image78
    Zazuzuposted 7 years ago

SpongyOllama makes great points toward why its important to learn other languages.

I know english, spanish, and french, but i wish i knew a non-romance language. Mandarin would be cool!

4. saanj H profile image74
    saanj Hposted 7 years ago

Hi

I can speak 5 languages. I feel its important to know a variety of languages. it is always beneficial to know the different literary works as this increase your horizons and exposure to literature and traditions within the country and world wide.

5. kevin.baker profile image59
    kevin.bakerposted 7 years ago

What do you call a person that speaks 3 languages? Trilingual.
    What do you call a person that speaks 2 languages? Bilingual.
    What do you call a person that speaks 1 language? An American.

6. LeisureLife profile image73
    LeisureLifeposted 7 years ago

I can speak some Spanish, due to the fact that I took three years of it in highschool...however, yes, I do think it is very important to be fluent in another language.  It can be very helpful and will easily broaden your horizons.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Language-in-the-Classroom

7. gabgirl12 profile image78
    gabgirl12posted 6 years ago

I speak three languages, two fluently. Spanish, English and Urdu/Punjabi. I do consider it important to know a variety of languages. It's easier said than done though. Two I grew up with, and the third I learned by marriage. The third I was determined to sit down and learn the alphabet with took me a year. Its easier to learn a new language if you are around others who speak it. The importance at least for me is it has helped when searching for a job.

working