jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can you find examples where a question beginning with 'Why?' cannot be answered

1. The Demon Writer profile image64
    The Demon Writerposted 6 years ago

Can you find examples where a question beginning with 'Why?' cannot be answered with 'Why not?'

I don't doubt that there are many examples. It is just interesting to think about how often  question can be answered in 'Why not?'
    It is sort of a bit of a philosophy of life for me. A lot of times I have no idea why I do things. I just figure, why not?

2. NathanielZhu profile image71
    NathanielZhuposted 6 years ago

Why does Santa exist?

- The problem with answering "why not?" in this situation is that Santa doesn't exist so to answer this question with "why not" is assuming that he exists, which he doesn't and that creates a logical fallacy.

But your question asks if I "Can". EVERYTHING "can" be answered with anything - even if it is illogical.
    I CAN even respond to "Do you want food?" with "fluffy cats".
    Does it make any sense? No, but I still CAN.

3. uncorrectedvision profile image61
    uncorrectedvisionposted 6 years ago

Yes, I can find examples where a question beginning with why cannot be answered with why not.  Can you answer a question merely with a yes or a no?

4. FreeThoughtist profile image59
    FreeThoughtistposted 6 years ago

"Why did we not?"
    "Why not?"
    "OK then."

5. ackman1465 profile image59
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

Remember Bobby Kennedy's eulogy at his brother John's funeral?  Of John, he (Bobby) said:

"Others see things as they are and ask "Why?".... He envisioned how things ought to be and asked, "Why not?"

I think that is one of the most touching and appropriate sentences ever expressed within our political system......