jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is there a limit to mercy?

1. DonDWest profile image60
    DonDWestposted 6 years ago

Is there a limit to mercy?

2. SamboRambo profile image82
    SamboRamboposted 6 years ago

For Christians: Jesus said that those who sin against the Holy Ghost will not receive forgiveness in this life nor in the next. It seems pretty clear that perhaps there is a limit to forgiveness. But maybe not mercy:

God  ejected Cain from his presence by murdering Abel. Cain responded, "Now, people will kill me." If God had no mercy or compassion on Cain he might have said, "Well, you deserve it." But he didn't. Instead, in apparent deference to Cain's fears, he put a mark on him, laying down the law that if anybody killed Cain, vengeance would be taken upon him sevenfold. So, while exacting punishment on Cain, God seemed to show mercy.

I doubt God forgave Cain for Abel's murder, because Cain paid the consequences. It seems mercy and forgiveness are two different things, and this example seems to show that mercy is ever-present.

3. shiloh01 profile image54
    shiloh01posted 6 years ago

I don't feel that there is any limit to mercy because mercy is the humanly content that comes from within and what comes from within is pure and heavenly..

4. monaz profile image58
    monazposted 6 years ago

No. There is no limit to mercy, same as there is no limit to sorrow and to love.

5. Miss Info profile image82
    Miss Infoposted 6 years ago

Excellent question!

Religion tends to believe there isn't a limit, but law and a sound moral compass tend to believe there is.

working