jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

How many languages can you speak, and why?

1. maplethorpej profile image74
    maplethorpejposted 6 years ago

How many languages can you speak, and why?

I am curious as to how many languages you can speak. More specifically, why do you speak those (or possibly only English) language(s)?

Have you thought about learning other languages and what has held you back?

2. oldhorse profile image67
    oldhorseposted 6 years ago

English is my native language.  There is no reason for that.  One doesn't choose one's mother, or one's mother tongue, but it was a fortunate choice in many ways.  You can travel over the world, or do business almost anywhere in English.  However, I think it is also a choice that made me lazy about language learning.  Most people in the world have much more incentive to learn a second language.

I learned smatterings of a few languages: Spanish, German, Russian, but I think I can only claim to speak Chinese, and even that is a limited kind of speaking.  I can converse, but I don't understand every word I hear, and I often express myself awkwardly.

I started studying Chinese, because I had many Chinese co-workers, and I just wanted to say a few words to be polite.  Later, I got interested in learning Chinese for its own sake.  I still strive to improve, but I started late and I don't live in a Chinese environment.  So, I will probably never achieve a native speaker's full capability.

3. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

I speak the King's English because I learned it as a baby and never bothered expanding my horizons. Sheer laziness. I would like to learn Spanish and eventually French and German. Suppose I will add those to my Bucket List.

4. reena_yadav profile image79
    reena_yadavposted 6 years ago

I speak English because it's the language we speak at home, work, etc. I also speak Bahasa Melayu (Malay Language) as that is the national language of the country. We learn both languages at school until high school with an emphasis on the national language. However, for those who pursue private colleges, the medium of instruction is English and for those who opt to enrol in public universities, the medium of instruction is the Malay languages.

I did try to learn Spanish from the Spanish serials which were shown on television a long time back but never mastered speaking that language.

5. Zubair Ahmed profile image78
    Zubair Ahmedposted 6 years ago

I can speak English, Bengali, Hindi, Urdu and Arabic.  I could also pronounce a word or two of French and German - at least the very little that I can remember from school days.

6. lilian_sg profile image74
    lilian_sgposted 6 years ago

I speak English , Malay (because I'm Malaysian), Mandarin, Cantonese , a little bit of Japanese.
    So 5? or if I discount the Japanese, 4!

7. iamsergell profile image61
    iamsergellposted 6 years ago

Well, I speak English, Tagalog, Spanish and some Malay. I speak Tagalog because my father is a Filipino. I actually learned Spanish by myself. So, all I can speak 4. big_smile

8. Azreen Chan profile image58
    Azreen Chanposted 6 years ago

I speak English and Malay (I'm Malaysian!)
    I can also speak little Japanese because I was born there.
    And I'm learning French big_smile because I love languages.

9. vox vocis profile image84
    vox vocisposted 6 years ago

I speak five languages. My next choice would be French, but if I could learn them all, I would smile
    Why?
    It's an aspect of affluence.

working