jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is the image of Slavic Americans in the American mind?

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

What is the image of Slavic Americans in the American mind?

Why are there negative stereotypes of Slavic Americans presented in American media such as television and in popular culture?

2. kittythedreamer profile image98
    kittythedreamerposted 6 years ago

I don't know because when I think of Slavic Americans I  picture Eric from True Blood...tall, blonde, strong and gorgeous! smile

3. KK Trainor profile image61
    KK Trainorposted 6 years ago

I don't even know what you mean by Slavic Americans. I have never heard anyone called that. Sorry. Can you clarify?

4. Alastar Packer profile image83
    Alastar Packerposted 6 years ago

Sure, KK- Slavic is a branch of the Caucasian line- Poles, Russians, Bosnians, Slovaks,Czechs,etc.

5. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

I have never seen any negative stereotypes of Slavic Americans. Eastern Europe is often portrayed in the US media as a dejected place full of malevolent psychopaths and impoverished peasants. The reason for this propaganda is to reinforce the idea that Communism is bad and capitalism is good. The people are never allowed to believe that sharing the weath may lead to positive results.

6. Borsia profile image44
    Borsiaposted 6 years ago

There are a lot of answers to the question. It depends on the group you are talking about given that Slavic covers a huge region.
    Primarily it is just ignorance and conditioning. Americans have been taught that all of eastern Europe is communist and therefore the enemy. In fact they are not all anything. Even when you are talking about the old concept of the USSR the real problem, and the leaders of both sides greatest nightmare, was that people don't know each other.
    We are far more alike than different. In fact most people around the world want the same things. Right now we are being drilled that China and therefore Chinese are all plotting against us and hate our very existence. Well I have lived in China and I know a fare number of Russians as well as other Slavic' and all I can say is the day the common people meet is going to be one heck of a party, rather than a war.
    But still there are people who are evil Romas, Gypsies, have a much earned reputation for being thieves and lowlifes, Chechnyans have earned their ire as well. Right now the enemy is Muslims, more specifically Islamics. But how many Americans know the history behind the hate?
    But we have, over time, felt the same way about the Italians, the Irish and any number of others.

working