jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is college really a good idea if you're an entrepreneur?

1. opinionsvary profile image60
    opinionsvaryposted 6 years ago

Is college really a good idea if you're an entrepreneur?

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

I think college (if one can afford it) or even getting some corporate experience first are not bad ideas before one begins a risky enterprise.

3. profile image0
    will345davisposted 6 years ago

If you're planning on opening a business, banks and investors like to see that degree. It makes them feel safer about handing over large sums of money. If not college, experience with another company, similar to the one that you desire to open, should help. Personally, I don't think it's necessary. There's nothing that can be taught in a classroom that can't be learned in the real world. That's just my opinion though. In the real world, that degree is almost everything.

4. Betty Reid profile image59
    Betty Reidposted 6 years ago

I think it helps, especially business classes.  Plus I think writing classes would help, since an entrepreneur might be doing a lot of their own marketing, including written material.  Plus whatever your product is might benefit from a degree, such as art or computers.

5. sensiva profile image60
    sensivaposted 6 years ago

The answer to your question depends on the individual. If you are 100% certain of your direction and you have a dynamic personality that can take all the good and the bad that life throws at you then I would say - go for your business and learn from your mistakes as you go along. If you have an idea but no clue as to where to start then study first. I hope that helps. If you are still unsure go and read "Rich Dad Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki, if you haven't read it already and then read "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George Samuel Clason. I just wish I knew about these books when I started out.

working