Terrorism

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (37 posts)
  1. ahmadraza212 profile image60
    ahmadraza212posted 14 years ago

My question is that:
    Can we stop terrorism in our world?

and in reply Mr. SimeyC says

Wow what a great question; whether there is an answer or not I do not truly know! Terrorism often stems from one faction or another feeling they are being mistreated - whether this is perceived or actual mistreatment doesn't really matter.
    Where the 'mistreatment' is so bad that the 'victim' feels they have no choice but to fight back we often see acts of terrorism. Look at Ireland, India, Iran, Iraq, France (in WWII) etc - there are acts of terrorism in each of these which were for a cause and due to a direct or perceived mistreatment.
    While terrorism isn't the answer, it often is the only 'act' that a desperate people can do. So can we stop terrorism?
    The only way to truly do this is to remove all the conditions that breed terrorism - racism, hunger, hatred, religion, sport etc - while people have different and opposing views, there's always likely to be someone who is surpressed. Removing all 'arguments' should lead to no terrorism....
    So to answer simply - Np - I cannot see a way in which we can remove all symptoms that lead to someone being suppressed - there will always be someone who feels downtrodden in society despite society's best intentions..
    What is your opinion?

1. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To remove terrorism would take cooperation on a huge scale by many different players.  If you take into account the brainwashing that accompanies the radical Islam factor it only compounds it.

One way the United States has found is the covert payoff such as we saw in Iraq with the Sons of Iraq who were converted to freedom fighters when it became more profitable for them. There were millions and millions of dollars that went unaccounted for once the invasion was complete and the task of moderating the government was upon us.

It is in mans nature to commit acts of violence and especially for a cause.  With this in mind there is not much one can do but try to help where we can and fight where we have to and duck at the appropriate moment.

2. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe we can stop it. There will always be someone that believes they can accoplish their goals by using terror tactics.

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no. but we can try to prevent as many incidents as possible, for example, using bomb-sniffing dogs at airports. so dogs offend muslim people's sensibilities, so what? everybody in America has one thing or another that offends them. this PC stuff is out of control.

But is this the game now.  It seems as if it is a great chess game with us as the pawns.

Are we to try and head attacks off at the pass the stategy or are we to try and find out if backing Israel is a sustainable tactic or is our thirst for oil and the conquest for it our real motivation or are we about spreading our form of government to an incompatible culture?

The battle seems to pale against the many other reasons we and our politicians have come up with.

1. profile image0
          cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well i would like to just turn their country to glass but that's pretty extreme...(just a fantasy, mind you)

2. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

Lets be honest here. When the average American thinks terrorism what do they see? An Islamic guy filled with hate blowing something up, right? I mean that really is what goes through most peoples minds is it not? Then of course you have those on the extreme, who everytime they hear anything that remotely sounds like terrorism they start reminding us of Timothy McVeigh, "See he was white and christian!"  So lets address these two types of terrorism. The first which is based in radicalizing a religion can in fact be stopped. The disorganized, grabastic piecies of crap like McVeigh who sat around with a few others complaining about the government cant. They are too random, they generally do act somewhat independently.

Lets also be honest that not everything we call terrorism is actually terrorism, but it is a handy lable to demonize someone or a group.

The funny thing about terrorism is the way it plays out for both sides.

The terrorist wants to draw attention to his or her plight by creating a need to be recognized.  This form is usually violent but can have other manifestations such as societal or economic means to make it be known.  No matter what way it is effected there is a need by a few to affect many for their cause to recieve notice.  This is usually after much effort has been ignored by the masses.  Also take into account some moral reason thrown in can generate a lot of credibility.

The victims of the terrorism on the other hand feel the brunt of the violence or other methods and wish it to stop at any cost.  This is usually done without consideration of the terrorists reasons but out of moral outrage that this could be put upon them without any provocation.

Both groups claim a moral highground and the misunderstandings continue.  Do the victims give in and allow other terrorist groups to use the same tactics?  And do the terrorists just lay down and let the injustice go on without retaliation?

How do you get these two opposing groups to come to an understanding when both claim a moral high ground?  This I think is at the crux of the matter and will take someone far more intelligent than me to figure out.

1. profile image56
        C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think we have to realize that there is not a one size fits all solution here. When it comes to the Middle East for example, there are HUGE Cultural differences. So understanding one another is extremely difficult. Western cultures scream about "Human Rights" like only they get to define them. In fact we wouldn't know or care about "Human Rights" issues in the Middle East if it weren't for the oil sitting under the sand.
        Western society and Middle Eastern society is a bad mariage in my opinion. Some people will never get along. If there ever was an opportunity it was lost long ago. In short my solution, is to give the Middle East what it wants. To be left alone by Western Society.

I agree with everything you say but can Big Oil learn to live without its' major source?

1. profile image56

Absolutely. China is drilling in the caribean....and even off the coast of Florida. Why? Because we found it and wont take it...so they will. This is important because China is capable of whats called "Slant" drilling. This means they can sit off the coast of Cuba and lay pipe all the way into US teritory and suck the oil right out from under us. Remember we want that oil in the middle east not so much because we NEED it, but because statrigically its better for us if someone else doesn't have it! Like China or Russia.
            About 20% of our imports of crude oil and petroleum products come from the Persian Gulf countries of Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates. Our largest sources of net crude oil and petroleum product imports are Canada and Saudi Arabia.
            Sources of Net Oil Imports:

Canada (20.1%)
            Saudi Arabia (13.8%)
            Venezuela (10.5%)
            Nigeria (8.8%)
            Mexico (8.7%)

While Canada is a big supplier it has only been a recent developement due to the high cost of Middle Eastern oil.  It was only after this that the extraction process from the sand base became feasible.  Big Oil would rather have more say and a cheaper source.  Mind you the price won't drop but the control is what is important.

Saudi Arabia is still a thorn in the side of the terrorists as it is the country that pushed Bin Laden away when Kuwait was invaded and allowed the infidels to set up operations on the Holy Islamic lands.

Hugo Chavez is still something the US Government is trying to topple as he wants fair market value and trade considerations that the US is begrudgingly conceding.

These top suppliers are troublesome to say the least and big oil wants the wars to continue as well as Pakistan to become unstable enough to allow another invasion.  This would complete the Oil & Gas line to go through and have total control without worrying about interference from more established governments.  There is Iran in the wings that could provide the same access if it could become an option.

1. profile image56

Agreed, however we have millions of barrels in reserve and oil sitting off our coast and interior. The fact is as you stated the issue of "Controll" is of greatest concern.
                Even conservatives(most, I suspect) would agree with Nuclear energy and augmenting with solar, wind and hydroelectric power for the nations energy grid. The fact is as you stated the issue of "Controll" is of greatest concern.

Well control is the 800 pound gorilla in the room as that is the basis by which all of this upheaval has sprung.  As a capitalist based country and with the proper amount of control Big Business can just about bring any scenario it wants because of the lack of restriction from the bought government.  The least amount of investment with having the US fight a free to them war is the best case for them.  It is a lot easier than research and contracts and enviornmental caveats.

1. profile image56

Foriegn trade/industry is the exact area that a capitalist economy should be controlled.....Its a problem no doubt. No one would care about bonus' and such if there were plenty of good paying jobs and a sound economy. One thing is for sure, the President ran on a platform of "Change" I firmly believe that during his term big changes will occur....to what end is the unknown.

2. profile image56

IMO Saudi Arabia is duplicitous. They have also let suspects go. If they wanted Bin Ladin handled he would have been dead a long time ago.

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
          AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Neither Western society nor Middle-Eastern society are monolithic. There are huge differences even between British and American society, or German and Swiss. And huge differences between Morocco and Tunisia, Dubai and Yemen. The one thing that has however stood out to me in my travels in Muslim countries is huge numbers of people's desire in fact for much that is "Western." Western media and pop culture, for example, are all over the place in many of these countries.

I think our interest in the oil will never play well in the manipulation of their governments and that is the real determining factor in all of this.  While it is true that the Middle-East culture wishes to morf some Western Culture into their make up this is due to the youth and the global education they are recieving.  It would be best if we allowed them the access to Western Culture on their schedule but capitalism being what it is won't wait.

1. profile image56

YEP, the more you force something on someone, typically the more they resist.

2. profile image56

Your being intelectually dishonest. Do American or Brittish condone "Honor Killings"? Do America, Brittish, German or Swiss societies condone female castration? A procedure that is explicitly designed so that female's can't enjoy intercourse?
            Do Do America, Brittish, German or Swiss societies run state run prostitution houses? There are these and many others. I too have traveled extensively. I have encountered people who seemed to "desire" western culture. I have also seen the opposite. I
            What I know is that there is a HUGE movement that is "Anti Western" in the middle east.

3. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Two ways to eliminate terrorism:

1. Find a way to get a "chicken in every pot."

2. Total annihilation of everyone who has any possibility of being one. (In ancient times, when you conquered a city, you killed ALL of the men, including children.  To leave an enemy alive, even a child, was asking for a knife in the back in 15 or so years. A good deal of terrorism today is due to wars that weren't won in this way.  The IRA and HAMAS being good examples.)

I'm not arguing for either of them, just pointing out how to end it.  Neither is going to happen, so get used to terrorism.

1. profile image0
      Ken R. Abellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, in the world we live in & the way humanity is wired, I think Shadesbreath's assessment is probably right. 

I am not advocating number two & given the self-centric nature of the human heart, try as we might, I doubt it is possible to accomplish number one.

Violence is a constant theme of history & as someone above pointed out, the word terrorist or terrorism produces a picture of an Islamic militant nowadays. 

A hundred years ago, union organizers & anarchists were tagged as terrorists.  There were explosions & dynamite used on the streets of American cities. 

In September 1920 a horse drawn cart (forerunner of the car bomb) was detonated on Wall Street at noontime.  Thirty-eight people were killed & although there were lots of suspects, I do not think that crime was ever really solved.   

A perusal of history would reveal that one group's terrorist is the another group's freedom fighters.

There's some thoughts.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That 1920 bit is great.  Go figure, eh?  And yeah, technically, George Washington was a terrorist from a British perspective during the early days of the Revolution.

4. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

We need to teach the bad actors what terrorism really is and can anything pc.

5. bgpappa profile image81
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Terrorism has been around for centuries as a tactic used by those without power or perceived power.

You can't stop it.  You can beat it though by not letting Terror and fear take over.

6. mikelong profile image60
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

Operation Northwood............

If there is no terrorism it can always be created.

As long as we as a people, Americans and otherwise, continue to follow what the media conglomerates tell us then there will be no end to terrorism...

There is far too much profit in the conflicts that follow....and too many loopholes to circumvent the Constitution that are created...

Executive Order 11109 is a great example...

1. profile image0

I'll reveal my ignorance...

What is Operation Northwood? 

What is Executive Order 11109?

1. profile image0

Thanks.   Both helpful.

7. mikelong profile image60

Wikipedia hardly does this justice.  The documents can be found through google and should be read through in their entirety....

Perhaps so.  But the gist is the same.

8. mikelong profile image60

Another example of this can be seen through the recent out-of court settlement between Shell and the Ogono of Nigeria....especially in light of the recent terrorist attack this past week...

9. Red_Hot_Dave profile image61
    Red_Hot_Daveposted 14 years ago

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

The way to defeat terrorism is to look at the causes, rather than being hellbent on tracking down the brainwashed minnows who commit the acts of terrorism.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)