jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you believe spontaneous combustion can really happen?

1. marstoblog profile image71
    marstoblogposted 6 years ago

Do you believe spontaneous combustion can really happen?

An example of this is, Dr. J. Irvin­g Bentley when he was found in ashes in his home , but with the rest of his house untouched by a fire. Many scientists think against this being the cause of spontaneous combustion, but do believe it's possible?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5550289_f260.jpg

2. aliciaharrell profile image75
    aliciaharrellposted 6 years ago

Scientifically and from a physics point of view spontaneos combustion is possible. There have been incidents where spontaneous combustion has occurred and proven by forensics like in the Dr. J. Irvin­g Bentley case. This type of thing is not just in the movies or TV shows. It has really has occured. A lot has to do with the person's chemical make-up, the body's interaction with sun rays, and other atomic plus subatomic factors.

Yes, spontaneous combustion is real.

3. cmlindblom profile image76
    cmlindblomposted 6 years ago

I don't know about with people but I'm pretty sure it can happen with hay bails...

4. Jonesy0311 profile image62
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

I am not a scientist. There certainly seems to be a ton of data which supports the possibility of spontaneous human combustion. Unless you can disprove every case, it cannot be ruled out as a possibility.

5. bwhite062007 profile image86
    bwhite062007posted 6 years ago

I remember having this very same debate in my biology class my junior year of high school. My teacher brought in a photo and article of a woman who supposedly "spontaneous combusted". I was never really sure if I could believe it or not but I agree with Jonesy.

6. marstoblog profile image71
    marstoblogposted 6 years ago

Thanks for your answers and I do believe it happens but I think it's just can't be explained by scientists how it happens. Intrestingly it happened only a couple of weeks ago to someone. Have a look at this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15032614

working