jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Where is the safest place to go if there's a tornado approaching?

1. OutsideTheLines profile image60
    OutsideTheLinesposted 6 years ago

Where is the safest place to go if there's a tornado approaching?

2. JEDIJESSICUH profile image80
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 6 years ago

I live in Kansas, so we're no strangers to tornadoes. My apartment complex has three levels, one that's partially underground and that's the one I live in. I'd probably go to my kitchen or bathroom, as both rooms have no windows. And then there's the hallways between the exit doors, which are windowless for the very purpose of evading a tornado. We're actually pretty good to go where I live, come to think of it. Fortunately, I haven't had to escape a tornado just yet. smile

3. lobobrandon profile image91
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

Your best option is to go underground. But if this isn't possible ensure that your house is air tight and close all your doors and windows before the tornado arrives.
    As the pressure difference even though it exists won't matter because you're completely closed up inside.  So you won't have to worry about your roof being blown up or your house being lifted up.

Even if you have a place underground to hide you should ensure air tight houses as this will protect your home.

4. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 6 years ago

I live in an underground house, but even then some places in my house are saver than others. For instance, our bathrooms and laundry room are bermed on one side and have no windows, and the laundry room would be my favored place because it is between the two bathrooms (no flying glass from broken windows and more protection from suction). The greatroom faces south and has one 8' and one 12' glass door, so it would not be safe. Likewise the south-facing bedroom has a wall of windows, so no go there. The other two bedrooms have large windows facing an open atrium. My choice is definitely one of the inside rooms with no windows.

Having said that, we live on a hill overlooking the Arkansas River valley. The river valley is a perfect channel for tornadoes, and last spring we stood at our greatroom door and watched a tornado follow the river. Not a very wise thing to do, but if it had changed directions, we would have headed for the hallway or one of the inside rooms.

Probably the only losses our house would sustain would be the decks or the greenhouse and glass breakage.

working