jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What Is The Safest Thing To Do In A Tornado If You Don't Have A Cellar?

1. PhoenixV profile image68
    PhoenixVposted 5 years ago

2. Cherrietgee profile image79
    Cherrietgeeposted 5 years ago

I grew up in Texas, which is part of the country known as Tornado Alley. We didn't have a cellar/basement, so we were taught to climb in the bathtub and use a mattress as a cover. If the house were torn apart, we were to hang onto that mattress with all our might. Fortunately, we never had to put that theory into practice.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

I grew up in the midwest and have lived in "tornado alley" most of my life. I've lived through several tornados and hurricanes and have worked in hospitals where we practiced tornado drills on a regular basis. At home in Ohio we had a crawl space, but I have lived other places where there was no such place to go.

Go to an interior room such as a bathroom or closet. Get inside the bathtub if you can - a bathtub is anchored to the ground and may be the only thing left standing after a tornado hits. If you cannot go to the bathroom or a closet, go to an interior hallway - as removed from outside walls as possible. Cover your head with a blanket or quilt to protect yourself from flying debris. Stay away from windows.

If you're out on the road, pull over and find shelter - get into a ditch if there is nowhere else to go - but get out of your car since strong winds can lift and destroy your car.

4. jdavis88 profile image94
    jdavis88posted 5 years ago

The bath tub suggestion is definitely a smart one.  So much flying debris that anything to help shield you is a positive..  Also, if you don't pray prior, that would probably be a good time to try it out...  just sayin...

working