jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

The UK is the best place to get an education

1. whoisbid profile image74
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

The UK is the best place to get an education

Some people tell me that the UK is the best place to get a University education because of that fact that a degree from a good UK University holds more weight to most people in the world than one from the USA. Is this true?

2. acewebdesign profile image61
    acewebdesignposted 6 years ago

UK is good but its also expensive. A US or a Canadian degree is also good..and even Australia is good. Up to personal choice.

3. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

It purely depends what your planning to do. Every country has its pros and cons.

4. Moon Daisy profile image83
    Moon Daisyposted 6 years ago

I live in the UK and have a couple of university degrees from good UK universities.  I know that many students come from abroad to study here, and that Oxford and Cambridge are very well-known throughout the world.  However, I don't have much experience of universities in other countries, so I can't say very much about how our education compares to that abroad. 

My only other university experience was in France.  The uni courses that I took there seemed to be a lot more about learning things by heart, and not much about comprehending and analysing things, or giving our own opinions.  This was very different to my experience in the UK, where we were frequently asked to say what we thought about things, and give our own interpretations.  Learning things by heart was probably easier, but it meant that I came away not remembering so much about what I'd learnt!

So personally, I preferred the UK university system, but that was just from my experience of the courses that I studied.

I suppose to get an accurate idea of whether the UK or USA system is better or holds more weight, you could try asking employers which they prefer.

5. arksys profile image91
    arksysposted 6 years ago

according to a change in recent university ranking America, Canada and UK have the highest rankings. university of california being near the top of the list ... they have taken out heritage points etc out of the system which always kept harvard and oxford/cambridge at the top.

personally, i did my bachelors in pakistan and masters in the uk. to be honest i thought the uk system was very weak and i felt like i was repeating my bachelors degree again. the same goes for my nephews who just moved to canada, they are in grade 4 and 2, but are way ahead of the other kids in their class.

the general mindset is that a uk degree has great value which i think is true when telling someone where you've studied ... but in actual fact prices are high and the course contents are weak.

6. samtenabray profile image61
    samtenabrayposted 6 years ago

i'm studying in Australia and the standard is very high you should consider it!

working