jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the most flexible homeschooling program for middle school that can be do

1. eye say profile image81
    eye sayposted 6 years ago

What is the most flexible homeschooling program for middle school that can be done while traveling?

2. HSanAlim profile image67
    HSanAlimposted 6 years ago

We have two daughters that attending an online high school; they call that distance learning.  It was great and we traveled all over the USA and Asia.  The school was Insight but it may have a name change as it was so successful Kaplan bought the company. They had 15 schools at the end of the 2010 school year.

Be warned, the school is academically challenging but the academic support is unparalleled. Both of our daughters graduated; one in the top 1% of her class of almost 600 students.

3. evelynsaenz profile image80
    evelynsaenzposted 6 years ago

The most flexible homeschool program for middle school aged children would be unschooling where children learn just exactly what they want to learn. They would be learning by experience and if you are traveling, that is just what you would be doing. Offer them journals, digital cameras and other tools for recording their experiences. Put them in charge of budgeting the expenses, anticipating tolls, hotel fees, tips etc. Before the trip, ask them to choose books on tape, language tapes etc to play in the car while traveling and use these to learn together as a whole family.

If you feel that you need to get credits toward highschool, consider Algers Learning Center in Washington State. It is a school for unschoolers and can be used by homeschoolers throughout the world. They have several programs. One just keeps track of credits you as a parent assign. Another has the student meet over the phone with a teacher to develop a curriculum. At the end of high school, Algers Learning Center would grant a high school diploma.

4. bradybynum1 profile image60
    bradybynum1posted 6 years ago

As a homeschooled teenager (senior), I have come to believe that the facts that you'll learn in textbooks and curriculums, though helpful for cultural knowledge, cannot compare with the education of experience. My family would visit museums and landmarks and never pass a historical marker without pulling the car over to read it. It makes history tangible and with the attention span of middle schoolers (I know mine was short) keeping education fascinating and engaging proves to be crucial. As for a specific curriculum, I cannot suggest one, though I suggest utilizing a program of some sort. Bottom line though, is never forget the value of experience in education. It's priceless, and we homeschoolers have opportunities for this experience far more often than any other educational system. I commend you on having the dedication to homeschool your children. smile

working