jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the best method to use to learn a language that is not your own?

1. capricornrising profile image60
    capricornrisingposted 6 years ago

What is the best method to use to learn a language that is not your own?

2. kschang profile image87
    kschangposted 6 years ago

"Total Immersion", spend a few hours in that environment as often as possible (with a translator / translation device). 24/7 if possible.

I speak four languages, two of them spoken at home. The other two were result of total immersion, by living in the respective countries (and proper schooling, of course) for many years.

With the Internet age, it is easy to find access to TV channels, Internet programs, and stuff on most languages in the world, so immersion is now less costly. Immigrants are also all over and smaller communities of various immigrants are all over as well. Spend some time in those areas will give you new appreciation.

And you may just surprise someone with your newfound language skills. I've certainly surprised a few people. smile

3. amym1010 profile image71
    amym1010posted 6 years ago

Agreed.  I taught a foreign language for 15 years; immersion is the only way!

4. nicregi profile image79
    nicregiposted 6 years ago

I think the best is practise makes perfect. Always be patience and take your time to learn it. Talk the language you are learning and you will be able to learn it from time to time.

5. smzclark profile image59
    smzclarkposted 6 years ago

visit a place that speaks the language. there really is no better way