jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should Dr. assisted suicide be legalized?

1. profile image36
    LORD ENKIposted 6 years ago

Should Dr. assisted suicide be legalized?

Providing the person in question is deemed to be of sound mind by a fully qualified Doctor.Or do we restrict the persons free will and take that choice away,regardless of there terrible condition that will not improve?

2. Nefarious_Misery profile image69
    Nefarious_Miseryposted 6 years ago

I think that it's more humane to euthanize someone rather than force them to live in excruciating pain for the rest of their miserable days. My question is what sick minded individual decided that it should be illegal??

If all you know in this world is pain and suffering, wouldn't you rather move on and see what lies beyond death? I would.

3. xethonxq profile image63
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

Yes, absolutely. I think people have the right to choose how they want to live or die. I might not agree with everything that people do, but I do believe in their right to do them. I know if I had a horribly, painful condition with no hope of recovering I wouldn't want my choices taken away....that doesn't mean I would choose death necessarily, but at least I would have a choice. Freedom to choose and having rights are very important to me.

4. Jarn profile image81
    Jarnposted 6 years ago

I believe so. As someone currently diagnosed with an incurable, untreatable illness which will kill me over the course of the next decade or two, I imagine suicide will be my only recourse come the end. The idea of employing a handgun doesn't scare me particularly, but it does make me wonder: Since suicide is a felony, there's really no punishment involved if I were to commit a number of other felonies prior to painting a Cobain rainbow across whatever wall my corpse slid down with my trusty .45 calber paintbrush.

I'm not trying to sound morbid here, or to encourage any lawlessness, but when a person is set on a particular act, he's going to do it whether or not it's illegal. And if that act happens to be illegal, well, what's one more crime along the way? A person who's going to do that has no punishment save his own conscience, so it's not so much a question of how a person dies that springs to mind as how many people the soon-to-be deceased intends to take with him.

As such, I think legalizing doctor-assisted suicide is probably a safe choice for the public at large. It deters the mind from going down that road and coming up with lists.

5. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 6 years ago

i think so and have always said it. what's that film? is it million dollar baby?