jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Are you a teacher or do you have kids (4th-7th grade age)? What topics do they

1. Seek-n-Find profile image88
    Seek-n-Findposted 6 years ago

Are you a teacher or do you have kids (4th-7th grade age)?  What topics do they want to read about?

Give me some ideas of topics that would be interesting for kids at these grade levels--things they would be interested in reading about.  Avoid topics that have any bias or sensitivity issues (death, holidays only some celebrate) etc. or any other topics that might evoke a high level of emotion.  Think classroom material.  Thanks!

2. Laura Matkin profile image76
    Laura Matkinposted 6 years ago

Not a teacher but around 4th grade my kids liked bugs, astronautic or weird space facts, Harry Potter and cars.  You can make anything interesting it's all in the presentation:)  If you get excited are excited to teach it they will be excited to read and learn about it.   7th grade reading mystery and Sweet Valley High books.  Guinness Book of worlds records was a hit too.

3. thebookmom profile image75
    thebookmomposted 6 years ago

My  students seem to favor mysteries, adventure and animal stories around the 4th-5th grade yrs.  I can't speak for any grades higher than that, but my guess would be they enjoy stories with interesting people and more drama.....

4. justateacher profile image80
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

Harry Potter for all - for younger kids the Captain Underpants series...boys this age like things that are "gross" and there are many books that have the word "gross" as a part of their title. Girls like adventure and fantasy and anything about animals, from my observation.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

My 9 year old's favorite books at the moment are Jeff Kinney's "Diary of a WImpy Kid" books, R.L. Stine's "Goosebumps" series, the "Hank the Cowdog" series (the author's name escapes me at the moment) and the "Bad Kitty" books by Nick Bruel.

6. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

I taught for 26 years and found my students loved stories that dealt with morphing.  They also loved the Harry Potter series and mysteries that dealt with teenage or young detectives.

7. Jynzly profile image72
    Jynzlyposted 6 years ago

My two grand-twins, 12 now but when they were 9 or ten they were very interested in magic and tricks. They brag to their classmates that their Professor grandma is also a magician. Well my stories ended up with some "magic" activities such as burying or hiding identical objects in various places; showing one to the"victim" then destroy it by burning. Then you will say that you can bring it back and can guess where it is...and the tricks go on. Yes, they are interested on magic and tricks. A teacher can make lessons along this line in a scientific manner, not necessarily to "victimize" or fool anyone.

8. SharynRI profile image57
    SharynRIposted 6 years ago

Strong readers in grades 4,5 as well as 6,7 students will enjoy/devour the Percy Jackson series.

working