jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can you teach someone to have common sense?

1. daborn7 profile image79
    daborn7posted 6 years ago

Can you teach someone to have common sense?

2. Tamilarasan123 profile image38
    Tamilarasan123posted 6 years ago

No it is not possible because many one have common sense  and i can teach only the way how can a man be behave with others....

3. teyeger82 profile image76
    teyeger82posted 6 years ago

I don't think someone can be taught to have common sense - they either have it or they don't.  However, I do think those that do not have it can learn from their mistakes or can gain insight from others about the lack of common sense they exhibit.  To what degree they can or are willing to do this would depend on the person.  Some people don't have any common sense and are stubborn too.  I doubt they will ever learn any "rules of common sense".

4. Buffoon profile image80
    Buffoonposted 6 years ago

That sort of assumes there is ONE common sense to teach, buds.

Ain't you ever heard Einstein's quote that "Common sense is the least common of the senses"?  I don't quote him because the dude was a genius... I quote him because he was right.

Seriously: WHOSE common sense are you wanting to teach? Yours? I'm sure you'll realize that's your version of sense. If you're a Republican ... or a Democrat... or a Fundamentalist.... or a Radical ... your common sense will be different from the rest of those, yeah?

So best you can hope for is that your common sense definition isn't totally banged against a wall. Teach it to someone? Forget it!  smile

5. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 6 years ago

I don't know how you are defining "common sense."  But if you mean learning the rules of logic, and how to use empirical evidence, then yes that most definitely can be taught.

If you mean life lessons from experience, sometimes, myself included, people will not understand exactly what is being taught until they go through the situation themselves.  When I was younger, I believed I understood what love was.  Now that I am slightly older, I realized I don't have a clue.