Is there any way to teach people common sense and logic or is this just inborn?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Penny G profile image59
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

Is there any way to teach people common sense and logic or is this just inborn?

2. CWanamaker profile image94
    CWanamakerposted 9 years ago

I believe that those things can be taught or learned.  A lot of what we call common sense is really common knowledge in regards to our environment and social interactions. Another way of looking at common sense is how the average person deals with a common situation.  Someone that lacks common sense sinply hasnt gained the knowledge or experiemce to deal with that particular situation.

3. Robert the Bruce profile image60
    Robert the Bruceposted 9 years ago

Depends. You can teach logic as theory. Most people use at least a small measure of logical thinking in their daily lives, but a truly balanced, logically thinking person is harder to find. In matters of religion, most people become extremely illogical in order to "prove" their way of thinking.

Of course, any person you'd meet would probably, if asked, tell you that he or she is logical, whether their lives prove it or not.

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

I believe the essence of learning to do math has a component within to give a person "deductive" reasoning. Nevertheless it's possible to be "book smart" and not be "people/street smart".
    More often than not this occurs when someone is (self-centered) and cannot imagine someone thinking differently or having different motives than themselves or they're simply (too lazy) to spend a few minutes "analyzing" a situation and it's potential outcomes before making their own decisions.
    They don't believe in attempting to "connect the dots" or trying to "anticipate" what (may or may not) happen based upon a certain set of circumstances. They see/hear what (they) want to.
    I imagine this keeps their lives full of "surprises"! " smile

Penny Gposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can't spend much time in a conversation with this type of person. I keep it short , and simple.

5. profile image0
    Grey Templesposted 9 years ago

Unfortunately, PennyG common sense and logic is something that is taught and learned from birth and as we grow through life.  A lot of having common sense comes from having a healthy bond with a loving caregiver from birth that nurtures the baby and teaches the baby as the baby grows.  If that nurturing caregiver is not there the child will still have a 'sense' of common sense but will have a very hard time adjusting to life itself which is sad.  This has a lot to do with orphans and foster children and abused children who are left on their own.

It is a sad world in today's world as it does seem the younger generations has absolutely no common sense at all and this is mostly due to helicopter parents and those stupid games they play on the television.  There is no imagination anymore, no going to the library or playing stick ball.  Children are not even being taught correctly in our schools.  I hope I answered your question after my long answer.

Thank you so much for your well thought out answer. So much truth, and yes sadness in it too.

6. profile image0
    temptor94posted 9 years ago

In my opinion, logical reasoning or common sense can't be taught to people, it is a process of constant self-learning by observing situations and experiences. The urge to reason in a logical manner comes from within, it is ingrained as part of our thought process.
    The smart thinkers observe and catch on to new situations and their consequences easily, so they display common sense in whatever they do. The not-so smart folks seem to be too self-occupied to watch and learn, so their common sense never really develop.

This is exactly my thinking about logic and common sense. My siblings just didn't get much of it and we had the same two parents and upbringing. They have completely different personalities , they always called me the odd ball. I'm glad I am!

7. padmendra profile image49
    padmendraposted 9 years ago

Well...if I talk in general , than I must say that most of the behavior of people are due to the way of their living and the type of environment that they have been born and raised.
    However it would be wrong to comment that the common sense and logic are based on the living conditions and the environment , one exists in. Common sense is made of the knowledge and the learning that we consume in our educational institutes and on the basis what is easily excepted by the crowd. To learn reasoning and logic in what we speak or do or to learn the common sense it is always advisable that a person needs to follow and decide to take the right out of the wrong.
    We should learn from the surrounding and choose the best which would make us better every minute.
    Thus these are things can never be taught but can be learned in the period of time .

Good point, if they are in tune to their surroundings, listen and learn.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)