jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Does anyone have any great ideas about how to improve the behavior of a student?

1. justateacher profile image82
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

Does anyone have any great ideas about how to improve the behavior of a student?

I have a student that has an intellectual disability and has extreme behaviors. They are getting worse as the year goes on. Any innovative ideas on how to deal with this?

2. profile image0
    summerberrieposted 6 years ago

I had a student (4th grade) who had extreme behavioral issues.  We (administration) decided to tape off and area to put his desk in away from other students. He was instructed to stay in “his space”. This worked because he had a hard time interacting with other students and seemed to like his “personal” space.

3. teaches12345 profile image96
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

A lot depends on how the student is acting out and his behavior patterns. Is it a sudden change in his behavior? What are the environmental factors (poor students interaction, has there been a room change, lighting, lack of sleep, diet, etc.) that may cause poor behavior?  I assume you have talked with the parent(s) and viewed his IEP for clues and his past history.  So, it would have to be a matter of setting some type of boundary he would find uncomfortable but yet forcing him to see the benefit of comforming to set classroom rules. 

Sometimes giving a student a goal to work towards helps. (i.e., If you can do this for so many minutes then you can have this privilege.) I would consult with those who can give you some feedback and support in dealing with this student. Documentation is key. And, sometimes you have to talk about removal from the classroom if it is too disruptive.  Hope you find a solution for this.  I know how much this weighs on a teacher's mind and affects students.

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Tag teaching - teaching with acoustical guidance

5. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

I observed teachers  handling a lot of situations like this, but as a sub teacher, didn't get into the details for a long term problem.
    I know that one ploy was to give the student a 'special' duty that no other had (as long as other things were going well), and to give them extra recognition for that thing. I'm sure you have already seen this.
    Good luck-- I know you are innovative.

6. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

Hold him upside down and spray him with a garden hose? Sorry, I'm a southerner...don't do what I just said.

What "misbehavior" is he doing? What is his intellectual disability? Is he bored or does he not understand the material?

7. justateacher profile image82
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

For those that have been asking - my little guy has an IQ of about 50 ("normal" is about 100). Behaviors are throwing things, running around the room, kicking, screaming, sliding on the floor...most likely he does not understand materials...

8. itakins profile image85
    itakinsposted 6 years ago

I have a friend with a little girl with ID and extremely challenging behaviour.She had run into a brick wall seeking advice- as the child was causing major disruption at home -to the point where her marriage was in difficulty.She decided ,off her own bat to give the child a very good quality fish oil (after copious research)-she saw a transformation within days ,and also a deterioration in days if she didn't administer the oils.They aid concentration and thus help with processing difficulties some children may have (not just ID).I know you can't take this on to do-but perhaps you could raise the question with the parents.

9. Angela Blair profile image80
    Angela Blairposted 6 years ago

Don't know if this is innovative (or even permissible without disrupting the rest of the class) but any possibility of finding a small record player, some little kids records that tell stories, etc. and assigning a part of the classroom to this child as an "honor." I saw this work quite well some years ago with a seriously disfunctional child. It was my understanding that the sound on the record was somehow indicative of security (someone was speaking directly to him) and that was the key. I certainly have no expertise with small children but do remember this working.