jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What are some effective reading strategies to help adult struggling readers impr

1. cardelean profile image91
    cardeleanposted 6 years ago

What are some effective reading strategies to help adult struggling readers improve comprehension?

2. Jessi10 profile image75
    Jessi10posted 6 years ago

I would suggest starting simple. Pick up a newspaper, magazine, OR even better: Build something small while reading the instructions. when adults have a chance to see how everything is build and illustrated in words, it makes things easier to understand.

3. joanveronica profile image83
    joanveronicaposted 6 years ago

I have found that a combination of reading the text while listening to a sound track of the same, seems to help. When the reader actually hears the rythm and inflections of what he/she is reading, it helps them make more sense of the paragraph. The goal is to gradually diminish the audio and leave the reading as a stand-alone.

I have combined this strategy with other elements, but this I particularly like.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image97
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

One thing that is very effective is to read a newspaper article in small sections, then stop, look up, and verbally state what you have just read.  Do this until you are sure you have accurately repeated the sections of the article, then continue until you have finished the entire thing.

Doing this forces you to pay closer attention to what you are reading.  If there are words in the article you do not understand, look them up in a dictionary, write them down, and memorize their meanings.  Review this list every so often to make sure you have not forgotten the words and their meanings.

Newspapers are written on 6th grade reading level, so they are the best place to learn to improve your reading comprehension.

5. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

Learn how to build readung skills as an adult through mental images.  Listed are helpful reading methods to increase reading comprehension. read more

6. Catzgendron profile image71
    Catzgendronposted 6 years ago

They should be in a quiet place with no noise or interruptions, this makes a big difference for me.  Also it may take awhile to read but if you don't understand something re read that section.  Sometimes I have to re read a few times and slowly before I understand what it means, what they are trying to translate.

7. dkm27 profile image60
    dkm27posted 6 years ago

Adult readers who struggle should make predictions about what they are going to read based on the title, subtitles, pictures, maps etc.. They should set a purpose for reading the text to see if their predictions are correct.  They should learn how to visualize the text by making a movie in their head.  Rereading a piece of text when comprehension breaks down is the most valuable strategy.  They can use context clues to determine the meaning of an unfamiliar word. Learning to infer what the author is trying to tell the reader, by recognizing the clues the author gives. is a great skill to maintain comprehension.  The reader should slow down when comprehension breaks down.

8. Silver Poet profile image74
    Silver Poetposted 6 years ago

Get them something easy but interesting like comic books or video games where you have to read the text to play the game. Have them volunteer to read to preschool kids--this is a sneaky way of getting them to read easy books without making them feel childish. The positive feedback from the kids will also bolster their self confidence.

working