jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Why do people continue to swim or surf in what they know are shark-infested wate

1. IzzyM profile image90
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

Why do people continue to swim or surf in what they know are shark-infested waters?

Every year  people are attacked by sharks in shark-infested waters, yet they seem surprised? I simply don't understand why people enter waters where they know sharks frequent.

2. D Shannahan profile image79
    D Shannahanposted 6 years ago

I have spent time swimming in shark infested waters but then again... I have spent time hiking in bear and cougar infested forests, driving on drunk driver infested roads and even hammock camping in salt water crocodile infested regions.
    I guess the benefits outweigh the risks..  They always say no risk, no gain.
    (Plus we all know some crazy statistic like "more people have been killed being crushed by refrigerators than by shark attacks")  A shark attack would be a much worse way to go out though...  ; )

3. wilderness profile image99
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

Why do people get drunk, knowing they will drive home?

Why do people take that first hit of meth?

Why do people try to text their meaningless little messages while driving?

Why do people snow ski in avalanche prone areas?

The "it won't happen to me" syndrome is alive and well in humanity.  As is gambling and stupidity.

4. profile image0
    Domenick Dicceposted 6 years ago

There are about 60 shark attacks per year. (Most are not fatal.)

It is estimated that over 1 million sharks are killed by people each year
    Official numbers (not including illegal catches and dumping) are over 700,000.

I think we need to put our fear of sharks in perspective.

5. chspublish profile image80
    chspublishposted 6 years ago

They are sharks themselves or near relatives! Or they are wearing special formulated shark repellent - their own formula too! Maybe they were specially invited by the sharks to afternoon tea?
    Seriously though, I think humans must have blind spots as regards safety. Because they don't 'see' the sharks, nor smell, nor hear them, there is a false belief that all is well.
    Doesn't the phrase - well here in this country anyway - 'sure we're grand, I don't see any ---' or 'we'll be fine' describe the blindness, the presumption that 'they' won't die or be attacked like everyone else.

6. WD Curry 111 profile image59
    WD Curry 111posted 6 years ago

If you don't surf, I can't explain. Suffice it to say . . . because of the stoke. There are ways to cut down your chances of an attack. You take the role of the predator. You can't fake this, the sharks can sense a prosier.

Is that me in the picture . . . surfing alone on a stormy day? You bet!

7. AfricaResource profile image63
    AfricaResourceposted 6 years ago

It's also usually the place where the waves are the best! If they were no good people surely wouldn't risk their lives doing it!

8. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

A lot of people have a sense of adventure.  They love to be in situations what is considered to be dangerous for most people.  Such people possess a high percentage of risk taking behavior.   The sense of danger psychologically ennerves them to go to the limit.  They feel that life is to be embraced and lived to the hilt.  These people simply are addicted to dangerous situations and anything less will simply bore them to tears.  These is the type of people to whom death defying acts are quite normal.  They are just fearless to the ultimate level.