jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why aren't people prepared to step outside of their comfort zones?

1. Pearldiver profile image81
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

Why aren't people prepared to step outside of their comfort zones?

What are the reasons why and the pitfalls of why not? How would it help them if they did or didn't? Is it different for men and women - why?

2. Melissa A Smith profile image98
    Melissa A Smithposted 6 years ago

For me, the consequences are never favorable, so I just stopped doing it.

3. profile image56
    Ferraoposted 6 years ago

Stepping out of your comfort zone involves taking a risk, there is uncertainty involved in the step you are taking there is also fear of failure. All these contributes for one not willing to move out of their comfort zones. you leave your comfort zone you may or may not succeed, although this may sound contradictory to the statement made above of the stepping out of comfort zone being risky and uncertain it is only when you take the step you know the consequences of your action. It takes great courage and determination to try something new, it is challenging and demands adaptability and in extreme cases a complete change in your lifestyle. The fear and the demand that is accompanied stops people from taking that step. It does not matter you are men or women because it is more the mental setup that counts.

4. darrensurrey profile image75
    darrensurreyposted 6 years ago

Fear of failure is the usual reason - either because there's a risk of losing something you have or just being ridiculed by others.

But there's also fear of success. We often have subconscious beliefs that prevent us from succeeding.

For instance, if your goal was to make more money by negotiating much better conditions with your boss, aside from the fear of having to approach your boss, you might also have an underlying belief that "money is evil" or that "all rich people have cheated their way to success" or that "money can change you for the worse".

Or if your goal is to lose a lot of weight then you might think "slim people are so shallow" or "I don't have money to replace my entire wardrobe" or "men would treat me like a sex object and I don't want that".

5. UnnamedHarald profile image97
    UnnamedHaraldposted 6 years ago

One reason has nothing to do with the person who's doing the stepping. It is a common tool used by companies to shame people into doing things management's way. That way, they don't have to deal with employees' concerns at the latest mandated change. If you're being "asked" to step outside your comfort zone at work, you will be uncomfortable for a long time; you will continually be "asked" that same question. Stepping outside your comfort zone should be an internal decision; it is a good way to grow or see things from another perspective.

6. rLcasaLme profile image74
    rLcasaLmeposted 6 years ago

because it's not comfortable. that isn't surprising at all.

7. time2rite profile image60
    time2riteposted 6 years ago

Taking a step towards moving out of one's comfort zone involves risks; a glimpse into the unknown often frightens people.  They would rather stick to what they know: the familiar is comforting.  The flip side to this however is that without taking risks a person may never try something new.  The person may miss out on meeting new people, experiencing life in its fullest, and never know what it means to truly be alive.  I know that a lot more often men are perceived as being more prone to risky behavior, especially when they are younger, but I'm not so sure there is a big difference between genders as more and more people of both sexes seek new ways of achieving goals in sports and athletical feats as well as extreme feats.  But most people seem just to settle into a comfort zone otherwise known as a rut.