jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the point of pi?

1. shazwellyn profile image55
    shazwellynposted 5 years ago

What is the point of pi?

2. d.smith292 profile image60
    d.smith292posted 5 years ago

To find out information pertaining to a circle's measurements.

3. spartucusjones profile image95
    spartucusjonesposted 5 years ago

I don't want to be critical but I think you left of the e. It should be pie. Pie is really good to eat when you are hungry. My personal favorite is Pumpkin, but my mom makes a really good Apple Pie.

But pies are just not for dessert. You can have Sheppard pie for dinner. Pies are very versatile.

Thanks for that though provoking question, it is very rare that I can provide insightful comments on subjects I really care about.

4. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

Pi, the ratio between the length of the circumference and the length of its diameter (a line across the circle that goes through the center), has many uses. It shows up in calculating all kinds of things about circles and spheres and more.

In addition, the Greeks, asking this question, were puzzled, because they couldn't find an exact answer. It turns out the exact answer cannot be expressed as a fraction, or as a decimal number that either ends or ever repeats itself. This led to the discovery of a whole, infinite supply of irrational numbers, which, like Pi, are not fractions. And many of those have uses in math, engineering, and physics, as well. Also, computer programming developments and increased speed came about in the effort to create more precise expressions of Pi.

So, Pi is useful in many ways, though, as Spartacus tells us, not as tasty as pie!