jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why do Firemen open Hydrants and let the water flow out?

1. J.S.Matthew profile image83
    J.S.Matthewposted 5 years ago

Why do Firemen open Hydrants and let the water flow out?

I notice this from time to time. The fire department opens fire hydrants and lets the water flow for a period of time. Are they testing the lines, removing rust? Why do they do this?

2. ThoughtSandwiches profile image79
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 5 years ago

When I lived in Chicago (which is the last time I remember seeing this) I thought they did it so us kids could play in it.  I still think that.

3. Life and Luxury profile image83
    Life and Luxuryposted 5 years ago

I know in some cities they open them during very hot summer days for city kids to run under.

4. archgirl1985 profile image75
    archgirl1985posted 5 years ago

My uncle who's a fireman said that they do it to flush the system, and make sure they are working properly. Cause in the fall and winter the water is sitting still, and this keeps them working. They also often work off the same pipes that your drinking water comes from so it helps to flush and clean that out as well. Usually done in the spring. I know hot days in the summer in the city they crack them and let the kids play in them.

5. profile image0
    Fatigmonposted 5 years ago

This is to flush the system, according to my brother-in-law who is a retired fireman.

6. GmaGoldie profile image77
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

The hydrants are actually owned by the water utility. The hydrants are opened in order to remove sediment sitting in the distribution lines - this is commonly called "hydrant flushing".

When I worked for the water utilities, our distribution staff would routinely flush the hydrants.

Pipes if broken or cracked can have "back flow" or residue pouring into the distribution grid. Back flow prevention for homeowners and businesses are now mandatory in most locations in the United States.

Additionally, the pipes within your home also can harbor corrosive piping. IF you install a whole house filter, in reality, you should also change your home's plumbing. This is why a POU - point of use filter is best because it ensures the water you are drinking is direct to you without any corrosion interfering in the transmission pipe lines.

7. Winter Maclen profile image72
    Winter Maclenposted 5 years ago

The goal is to make sure the hydrant is in proper working order and there is nothing obstructing the flow in case they need to use it in an emergency.  It's just a proactive measure.

working