jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do you think about the tenure system? Should it be protected or overturned?

1. buckleupdorothy profile image82
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

What do you think about the tenure system? Should it be protected or overturned?

2. rutley profile image76
    rutleyposted 5 years ago

reformed..............based on performance, not time served......................................

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

Tenure, properly handled, is a good and fair system.  People don't understand why it exists, which is why they think it's a bad thing.  However, tenure allows teachers to have academic freedom without fear of losing their positions because someone does not like the way they are presenting material.  Teachers who abuse their positions can still be fired, but this is a different situation than the one I just mentioned.

4. Robin Cristy profile image60
    Robin Cristyposted 5 years ago

Tenure needs to be protected, so that teachers can deliver challenging lessons  without any worry of repercussion. 

In my former work life, I was a business owner.  Things were not going well (I thought...), and applicants who strolled into my shop lacked skills to fill out a job application.  (I blamed teachers...)  During lunch one day, a friend suggested I finish my education and teach.  I did. 

I once believed that a teacher's pay should be based on performance, until I learned that teaching is a team effort. For example: if a struggling student has finely experiences success under my watch, it is not necessarily because I am a brilliant teacher.  Most likely, it is due to my lesson, that built upon a similar lesson given the year prior, and still, another lesson taught the year before that.  My education about teaching and educators did not end with that epiphany; however.

Teachers deal with social pressures beyond the classroom that constantly create one obstacle after another inside the classroom; much of it consists of politics and family dynamics. (Ooooh!  That's a hub!)

I am ready to end my teaching career (I miss being my own boss and lately my wallet is thin), but I will always have a place in my heart for teachers.  They are the most under paid, caring and professional people, and it has been my pleasure to work with them.

working