jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

When does our mind really mature and think like adults? Is it different for each

1. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 5 years ago

When does our mind really mature and think like adults? Is it different for each gender?

There is a debate about our frontal cortex not maturing by 18 or even 21, when do you believe it to be mature and does it depend on the gender?

2. DAWNEMARS profile image60
    DAWNEMARSposted 5 years ago

I believe that I was not an adult until I was 27 years old. People mature at different rates that is true. Culture often dictates when people reach adulthood. Take it for granted that maturity comes much later.

3. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 5 years ago

I don't believe gender has anything to do with it, we all develop it different rates.  I think this is an underhand way to create gender discord, and possibly should be in the forum, not here.

4. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

the human brain isn't fully developed until a person reaches 27 yrs. old. 
    of course, if a person stunts his/her growth with drug/alcohol abuse, they never really mature. 

In the distant past there was a theory that adolescent girls mature faster than boys, which was why in some states girls were legal adults at 18 while boys weren't til they reached 21.

5. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

It is different for each gender and each individual. Men are officially adults mentally at the age of 30. Women are officially adults mentally at the age of 25. Typically. There are always exceptions. Some people never reach the highest level of mental thinking to become adults. They will forever be the simple teenager. It's a dangerous possibility.

6. Ms Dee profile image88
    Ms Deeposted 5 years ago

I read somewhere once that the brain is not fully developed until about age 25--for both genders. Also, there is both the logical and the emotional parts of the brain that must both be developed in order to arrive at maturity, and both are by age 25. In addition to this, I observed age 25 was the point when my own children--of both genders--appeared to have arrived at a point where their logical and emotional smarts were well balanced. They had reached a point where they were confident in managing their behavior and comfortable with themselves. So, 25 seems to me to ring true.

7. profile image51
    finewordsposted 5 years ago

each individuals are different from one another so as their minds and development. But in general 21 years is a maturation ending zone.

8. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Hmmmm...I taught a course in human development and learning a couple years ago and to the best of my recollection there is no magical age. I think it is dependent on a variety of factors - genetics, culture, early learning, education, etc. I do think there are some gender differences, women maturing, depending on your definition of maturation, earlier than men.

9. Beata Stasak profile image82
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

our Chinese teacher told us
    in Russian,
    the language we all knew,
    "was never a paved 
    the way like the Roman roads were."
    We had been just 12-years old,
    a group of Senior School students
    on the exchange tour,
    living in Xi'an in... read more