jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What Is the Best Advice For Someone Starting College?

1. PhoenixV profile image69
    PhoenixVposted 5 years ago

2. conradofontanilla profile image81
    conradofontanillaposted 5 years ago

Be determined. That is in terms of finances, openness of mind, attitudes towards classmates and teachers, and college support staff, and separation from relatives.
    I had some limitations in finances or I did not want to bother my parents. I had a fellowship grant in my first semester then lost it because in high school i was not given enough background in chemistry. With open mind the new pieces of information get into the brain easily, almost no internal resistance. With an open attitude I did not have favorite teachers and I was not intimidated by any of them. I found challenge among professors who were considered "terror" who I found liked me for braving up to them, perhaps. Home was far away, I could only get home once per sem. Loneliness is a factor in college. i am sort of independent type. When I lost my fellowship grant I worked as student assistant and vowed to get back my fellowship grant which I did the next sem and for many sems to come.

3. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Ask every question you can think of. Learn all you can about the system, subjects, teachers, everything.

4. edhan profile image59
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Aim your goal.

Be prepared mentally of what you are to challenge in college. Having confidence in yourself will be the best approach to start your education.

As a student, you have nothing to worry about other than studying. So, take a big step and gear yourself towards a bright future. Getting yourself the right education will be a great step to your future.

Advice that having a proper education will pave the way to a better future for yourself as well as your future family.

5. owhorspecial profile image65
    owhorspecialposted 5 years ago

Get Good Friends that knows exactly the right thing at the right time...Never try to be someone you are not because people would intimidate you. Be yourself and Be Good.

6. Zinjenzo profile image59
    Zinjenzoposted 5 years ago

I recommend you make friends, try new things, be yourself, attend orientation, don't go home every weekend, practice and learn good time and money management skills. I agree with lburmaster, too - ask questions and lots of them. Don't be afraid to say "I don't know" followed by "but I can find out." And use all the resources that are available - academic advisers, the health center, the gym, study groups, and your peers.

Most of all, have fun!

7. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

Go at your earliest opportunity and be sure to do your best. If you don't have to work through college, don't. Use the additional time wisely and focus on your studies. Getting the absolute best grades that you can and being involved at your school is a valuable experience in itself but will also payoff when you seek employment. Best of luck to you.

8. VirginiaLynne profile image97
    VirginiaLynneposted 5 years ago

Mine is very practical--pay attention to the office hours of your professors and go to see each of them once or twice during the semester.  Let them get to know you as a person and take advantage of getting to know them.  Go with a question about class which does NOT involve your grade.  Ask about the subject.  You can also ask about career/college advice.  Don't be annoying--going every week or spending more than 10-15 minutes (unless the professor seems to want to talk that long), but be interested in the subject and willing to learn.

working