jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is there life on the moons of Jupiter?

1. alian346 profile image70
    alian346posted 5 years ago

Is there life on the moons of Jupiter?

During the next few years Europe is to launch a spacecraft to explore the moons of Jupiter. On some of these moons there are thick ice sheets, under which are vast oceans of water. Do you think they will find life there?

2. profile image0
    Team Leaderposted 5 years ago

Hello alian346,

I do not believe in there being any human like life on Jupiter's moons. I love the planets and stars to bits...Saturn and Mercury are my favourite planets. Looking at the stars gives me peace. I do not believe that there is another source of life as we know it on earth within this solar system.

Your 'Team Leader'

3. Alexander Mark profile image83
    Alexander Markposted 5 years ago

Probably not. If I believed in evolution, I would think there was a higher probability of finding life there than other bodies in our system, but even as a creationist I think there could be life there, it's just that the chances are as great as finding life on Venus which has a thick atmosphere and plenty of heat. Life is so incredibly varied here on Earth, it would seem that it could flourish anywhere.

If we don't constrain ourselves to "carbon" based life, then microbes, plants and animals could exist anywhere, even in the dead of space. However, as a creationist, I would expect life to be something we would recognize, so any planet with an atmosphere is my best guess, and Europa is also a good candidate.

After writing all this, my opinion is that we won't find life, and I'd be willing to bet on it as the belief of water ice on mars and liquid under the ice sheets on Europa are based on a lot of assumptions and hopeful speculations.

4. duffsmom profile image62
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

No, I don't believe we will find life on the moons or anywhere else in our solar system.  The climate would not be conducive to life.