jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What's your favorite fairy tale, myth, or fable? Who is your favorite character

1. buckleupdorothy profile image84
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

What's your favorite fairy tale, myth, or fable? Who is your favorite character from same?

2. profile image0
    NikiiLeeReyesposted 5 years ago

All the versions of the Little Mermaid. Why? because, in the original contexts- she lets the evil witch cut off her tongue, In hopes of wooing the Human prince she so desperately fell in love with. Now instead of her returning back to a mermaid in three days, the contract clearly stated that if she doesn't win his love, she will die. In that story- while the mermaid is now human but speechless; Prince Eric hopelessly searches for the woman who sang to him and saved his life in the Ocean. Never realizing that she was only footsteps away. He found himself growing a sisterly love for this speechless girl now residing in his castle. In order for him to take the throne he must be married, while on his way to ask the speechless girl (ariel) for her hand in marriage, a beautiful woman from another village comes to town and whisks Prince Eric away. Marrying him. Killing the little mermaids chance at true love.
    What I love most about the story, is how she was willing to risk her life--for a man she felt she loved. Or  since I dont believe in love at first sight- for a man she felt she can love with her all. If given the opportunity to. She took it knowing the risks. She never had her happily ever after. A tragic story.

Still and all I love the Disney version of the little mermaid. Whenever I hear the song "part of your world" I think of how Hans Christen must've felt-knowing he was born in poverty and in sickness. Those fairy tales werent made for happily ever afters-- they were stories of his pain, he wanted to share it with us.

Nice question. Thank you for letting me share!

3. parwatisingari profile image59
    parwatisingariposted 5 years ago

For me it is the fable of the tortoise and hare, I am impressed by the Tortoise's risk taking ability, forget the perseverance it is entering the ring when you know you are likely to fail and carrying it through. The tortoise winning is more about the Hare being inconsistent and giving up.

4. Crissylite profile image74
    Crissyliteposted 5 years ago

I love "Beauty and the Beast." It's a great story & I like the little tea cups. smile