What's your favorite TV sitcom? Past or present...

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Sunshine625 profile image87
    Sunshine625posted 11 years ago

What's your favorite TV sitcom? Past or present...

Mine would be "Friends"... Ross, Chandler, Joey, Phoebe, Rachel and Monica will always be my favorite.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7048503_f260.jpg

2. midget38 profile image86
    midget38posted 11 years ago

Mine would be friends too, Linda. Loved Phoebe and her goofy singing, the would-be movie star Joey especially!! They'll always remain.

Sunshine625posted 11 years agoin reply to this

How YOU doing "Silly Cat?" smile)

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I love Friends too and I think it is my all time favorite - don't you feel like you know these characters?  I also love I Love Lucy because it is like traveling back in time to see the clothing and the set decorations.  My other favorite is The Cosby Show from the 80's.  I loved the Huxtables, they were such a great family.

I still watch I Love Lucy and I still love her! That would be my #2 show. I saw a photo of Rudy Huxtable on Facebook yesterday, she's grown up to be a beautiful woman.

4. DeborahNeyens profile image93
    DeborahNeyensposted 11 years ago

I'd have to say Seinfield. I used to love Thursday nights with Friends followed by Seinfield. Cheers was another great one.

1. midget38 profile image86
      midget38posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Loved all three!

2. Sunshine625 profile image87

Cheers ... Where everyone knows your name! Great show!

5. rcrumple profile image77
    rcrumpleposted 11 years ago

Pertinert fixin' ta get goin' here!  There's only one sitcom werth talkin' 'bout.
    "Come en listin ta a story bout a man named Jed" ... Yep, those folk called "The Beverly Hillbillies."  Why, we use ta gather tha whole family around ta watch Granny gripin' 'bout evrythin', Jethro smilin' 'bout evrythin, Jed thinkin' 'bout evrythin', and Ellie Mae... well, she had plenty of evrythin'!  Thissin' was what comedy was about!  Didn't talk no social issue junk, didn't have no jumpin' in ta bed with whoev'r stuff, and didn't do no political stuff.  Just common folk laughs and laughs abound.  Nothin' else came close to pure comedy as thissin' did!  Ya gotta be a Yankee ta think diffrent!
    Besides, they's kin!

Great choice!! I always wondered if Jethro was that dumb in real life too!! smile

2. rcrumple profile image77
      rcrumpleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, he wrote and produced several big money movies afterwards.  He always stated that he thought the TV show hurt him image and his career.

6. peacockct profile image67
    peacockctposted 11 years ago

This is a tough one! I'm going to go with a present TV show (to make it easier) and say "Revenge".

7. Janine Huldie profile image77
    Janine Huldieposted 11 years ago

This is a tough question, because I truly loved sitcoms (yes plural) growing up.  I did love Friends, but Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Family Ties, The Cosby Show, Facts of Life, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley and the list could go on forever.  Sorry, but I just can't seem to choose one lol smile

Wow! I sense a good hub from your response Janine! smile

8. ThoughtSandwiches profile image74
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 11 years ago

Not that I'm not friendly and didn't enjoy friends but I would probably throw my lot in with Arrested Development.

I tried to watch this show, just don't get the humor.

2. ThoughtSandwiches profile image74
      ThoughtSandwichesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah...very few people got that humor.  Critics called it the best show no one was watching...lol.

9. geegee77 profile image62
    geegee77posted 11 years ago

The Golden Girls:) and One day at a time:)

One Day at a Time! Yay! I still have a girl crush on Valerie Bertinelli. She's so awesome. You know I love the Golden Girls smile

10. jeolmoz2 profile image55
    jeolmoz2posted 11 years ago

Wow! Tough question! I guess Seinfeld, but friends it's pretty good also.

11. B Lucy profile image60
    B Lucyposted 11 years ago

Golden Girls.  Used to watch it with my grandmother.  She was horrified by those sassy old women . . and didn't miss a single week!  Haha . .  To this day if it's on TV, I stop whatever I'm doing to watch!

I love the Golden Girls! I am Blanche. Which one are you? smile

2. B Lucy profile image60
      B Lucyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sunshine . . I'm all four!!  Cranky like Dorothy, sarcastic like Sophia, Ditzy like Rose . . and well, yes, I'm like Blanche, too!!  ; )

12. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Well, Sunshine......I'll give you past and present!!    I loved "Seinfeld," and still watch reruns whenever I can.   Presently, I'd have to say, "Modern Family."   I honestly don't think that there will ever be a sitcom that I liked as much as Seinfeld.....Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer were the funniest, ever!

Seinfeld is awesome. Well actually not Seinfeld...I'm not a fan of him, but I am of Kramer, George and Elaine smile

13. Cogerson profile image79
    Cogersonposted 11 years ago

As a kid the answer would be Gilligan's Island and Hogan's Heroes.....as a teenager give me Three's Company and Cheers.....as a young man give me Seinfeld......and now it is Modern Family.

1. peacockct profile image67
      peacockctposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Modern family is a good choice! I can't get enough of Phil Dunphy one-liners

2. Sunshine625 profile image87

I was always hoping for Gilligan, The Professor, Maryann, Ginger, Skipper and the Howells to be rescued. Then I knew the show would end, which I didn't want. Yet, it did. Great show!

14. profile image0
    danielabramposted 11 years ago

Seinfeld is my favorite sitcom. It is funny and original humor.

15. mary615 profile image81
    mary615posted 11 years ago

My favorites are all in reruns now:  I Love Lucy, All In The Family, Sanford and Son.
    I no longer have cable so if they are not on NetFlix, I can't watch.

16. profile image0
    SilverGenesposted 11 years ago

Golden Girls, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, and The IT Crowd (Season 2 Ep.1 The Work Outing is funnier every time I watch it!)

17. TToombs08 profile image78
    TToombs08posted 11 years ago

It wasn't technically a 'sitcom' but it WAS funny; StarGate SG-1 and StarGate Atlantis. I love a man in uniform with an attitude. smile And it was scifi, so *bonus*!

SciFi...I should have know TT smile

2. TToombs08 profile image78
      TToombs08posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Go SciFi or die! smile

18. Alecia Murphy profile image71
    Alecia Murphyposted 11 years ago

I saw alot of the classic sitcoms in reruns since by the time I grew up in the 1990s they were on the way out. But I did like alot of different sitcoms.
    Family Ties- I think it's one of the most realistic portrayals of family on television and Michael J. Fox is an acting genius.
    The Facts of Life- I always thought of myself as a Tootie type- I had braces and I still have a high voice. But I wasn't a blabbermouth like she was. I loved the friendship between Natalie and Tootie as well.
    Boy Meets World- I grew up watching that show. Even though the characters were older than me, it did a good job of representing generational concerns and I could relate to the situations they faced.
    Fresh Prince of Bel Air- Will Smith changed the face of television. And besides, nothing can compare to him and Carlton acting crazy.
    Happy Days- Fonz is a swag innovator, Richie was the voice of reason, and we all knew a Ralph Malph at some point.
    Everybody Hates Chris- I only recently discovered the genius of Chris Rock's portrayal of childhood but he did an excellent job capturing black family life. I only wish it got more recognition.

Fresh Prince of Bel Air! Yay! "Sit right there and I'd like to tell you how I became a Prince of a town called Bel Air!"

19. American View profile image60
    American Viewposted 11 years ago

The Odd Couple, The HoneyMooners, MASH, Rescue Me, The Sopranos, Barney Miller, Bonanza, Mission Impossible, The Saint,

I could write so many more

To the moon Alice! Haha! Ralph, Alice, Ed and Trixie were a hoot!

20. tipstoretireearly profile image80
    tipstoretireearlyposted 11 years ago

MASH was a classic sitcom.  Hawkeye, BJ, Radar, Hotlips and Burns were great characters.  Another great sitcom was Seinfeld.  I don't remember a better topic for water-cooler conversations than some of the Seinfeld episodes.

21. ishwaryaa22 profile image82
    ishwaryaa22posted 11 years ago

My most favorite tv sitcom is Friends. I recently watched its re-runs with my mother and we enjoyed this show very much! Our favorite characters are Joey (his famous " How you doing"? and immature-funny), Ross (his funny typical nerdy mannerisms) and Phoebe (eccentric-funny).  Rachel - though not-so-funny as the rest but we like her pairing with Ross. We also like Joey-Ross's  funny camaraderie and occasional comic misadventures. The other sitcom I enjoyed watching is 'The Simpsons', a famous long-running animated tv-sitcom - I watched this show as a child and recently watched its new episodes.

22. daskittlez69 profile image75
    daskittlez69posted 11 years ago

Friends was a great show.  Some of my favorites are: Charmed, Different Strokes, House, Battlestar Galactica, Band of Brothers, Married With Children, Nip Tuck, Two and a Half Men, Quantum Leap, Alias, I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, All in the Family, The Simpsons, MacGyver, The Fall Guy, The Carol Burnett Show, Momma's House, and Dark Shadows.  There have been so many good television shows over the years.

23. teaches12345 profile image78
    teaches12345posted 11 years ago

I miss Everyone loves Raymond, but do catch the reruns.  Also, Frazier is another one that I watch almost nightly.  You can't get enough humor in your day.

24. TrevorBasile profile image59
    TrevorBasileposted 11 years ago

If I had to name one it would be Wonder Years! Grew up watching that show it was awesome. You can fin the re-runs on the channel the Hub. Such a great show. Sitcom right now would be Mike and Molly!

25. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

The Dick Van Dyke Show. That show was perfect in so many ways. I loved it as a kid and loved it even more in reruns as an adult.

26. Jools99 profile image89
    Jools99posted 11 years ago

I love sitcoms from both sides of the Atlantic - at the moment from the USA, I love Modern Family, Curb Your Enthusiasm and How I Met Your Mother and am just recently getting into Big Bang Theory (we watch a lot of comedies).

In the UK - I.T. Crowd is very funny, Mrs Brown's Boys, Royle Family and Only Fools and Horses.  My fave of all time is probably Only Fools and Horses.
    Great question Sunshine.

27. Rebecca2904 profile image67
    Rebecca2904posted 11 years ago

I grew up watching Friends and it will always be very special to me - I often watch an episode when I'm feeling a bit blue to cheer myself up.
    My favourite at the moment is 'New Girl' starring Zooey Deschanel. It's really very funny and there's only been one series so far, so it should be easy enough if you want to catch up!

28. Ky4KeithUrban profile image60
    Ky4KeithUrbanposted 11 years ago

Star Treck Star Gate StarGate Atlantis When I was a teenager I loved Dark Shadows.. Good question Linda made me think way back.. smile

Have you seen the Dark Shadows movie yet with Johnny Depp? I bet you did on the first weekend, I know I did. I was also a Dark Shadows fan.

2. Ky4KeithUrban profile image60
      Ky4KeithUrbanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep I Love Johnny Depp He was born and raised in Ky!!

29. Beverly Kase profile image60
    Beverly Kaseposted 11 years ago

Mine would have to be "Weeds". If you have not seen it yet you should. It shows a mother who decides that selling marijuana is a good business to bring income in for her family. Her entire life changes and gets worse. I as a parent am glad I do not have to do something like that. My life is not perfect I lost my job and my car but im still doing the right thing.

30. bernard.sinai profile image79
    bernard.sinaiposted 11 years ago

I have a number of favorites but The Big Bang Theory tops the list.

Leonard, Penny, Howard, Raj and everybody's favorite Sheldon are too funny. I laugh from start to finish on every episode. Also they all have certain strong traits that you admire meanwhile you get to laugh at everything else they suck at.

1. B Lucy profile image60
      B Lucyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree eventhough I voted earlier for Golden Girls.   Big Bang Theory has the best character development and most clever writing EVER!  (You forgot your flash drive . . you forgot your flash drive . .)  Haha!!

31. GiblinGirl profile image72
    GiblinGirlposted 11 years ago

I would have to say that Seinfeld is definitely one of my favorites but I also have to give a shout out to Saved by the Bell.

32. teddi6 profile image60
    teddi6posted 11 years ago

Nothing makes me laugh like "I Love Lucy", and during 1957 "We Love Lucy".  I look at re-runs now and I cry with laughter, my mascara runs down my cheeks.   
         I think the Lucy show was the template for all sitcoms. The humor on that show was just timeless because that kind of funny was just funny - no matter what.
         My favorite episode of "We Love Lucy" has Paul Douglas as guest star.  Lucy co-hosts a TV show with him.  She takes a sleeping pill and goes to work. Ricki and Paul Douglas try to keep her awake thru the show, she falls face first into a bowl of breakfast cereal, nearly drownding. 
         I loved the episode so much that I bought it.

33. Joe Boik profile image57
    Joe Boikposted 11 years ago

Friends stands as the greatest of all time to this day in my opinion.  I've watched all ten season in sequence and randomly about 6 times since I started watching in 2003 (I arrived late but I think I make up for it).  No one has been able to even beat me at the Friends Scene-It game.

34. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 11 years ago

I would have to say that my favorite sitcom is "I Love Lucy", followed by "Home Improvement" (with Tim Allen), "The Fresh Prince of Belair" and "Friends".

35. visionandfocus profile image67
    visionandfocusposted 11 years ago

Present: Big Bang Theory.
    Past: Jeeves and Wooster, Blackadder II and III. (British series, absolutely hilarious)

36. ithabise profile image74
    ithabiseposted 11 years ago

Sadly past is the w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l "Friday Night Lights"; present is "Parenthood." For any Hulu users, the Israeli "Prisoners of War" is great viewing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)