jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What does a mechanical engineer do on a daily basis?

1. scoop profile image85
    scoopposted 5 years ago

What does a mechanical engineer do on a daily basis?

2. My Esoteric profile image91
    My Esotericposted 5 years ago

I wish I could be my normal expansive self, but I can't because mechanical engineers do so many things.  I will leave it at this, without them, the world would revert to the 1400s.

1. wandererh profile image76
      wandererhposted 5 years agoin reply to this

And don't forget electronic engineers, for without them, we would all still be doing logarithms using a log book.  smile

3. michiganman567 profile image83
    michiganman567posted 5 years ago

Paperwork, meetings, and phone calls for the most part.  Hounding people at shops to actually do their jobs. Telling bosses how the programs are going.  There is a lot of the movie "office space" involved in Mechanical engineering at the corporate level.

4. BlissfulWriter profile image64
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

They work on projects such as designing machines. The work with other engineers such as civil engineers and electrical engineers in building projects such as building bridges, skyscrapers, street lightning, etc.

They do mathematical calculations to determine the size of the parts and the strength of the material.  They inspect machines.  They coordinate technicians.  They draw or review mechanical blueprint drawings.  And of course, they go to meetings.

5. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 5 years ago

Mechanical engineering is vital to a number of industries, from mining to vehicle design and manufacture, to the Space Programs of the world. The work is exciting, well paid, and full of history. read more

working