jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Does Homeschooling a child cause social problems on the outside? And why?

1. Charity Squid profile image71
    Charity Squidposted 5 years ago

Does Homeschooling a child cause social problems on the outside? And why?

Do home-schooled children have social problems.

2. TheKatsMeow profile image89
    TheKatsMeowposted 5 years ago

Not that I am aware, I know lots of children who are home schooled and none of them have "social problems". When you are home schooled, the parents generally make sure that their kid are socialized with other children through other activities. They also seem to be smarter than public school kids...

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I suppose it depends on the family dynamic.  If you have a single child that is home-schooled, they may be getting a stellar education but one of the aspects of being a well-round happy person is knowing how to interact with people.  Kids learn a lot of undesirable things in public school--true.  But they also learn how to work in a group, they learn that people come in all shapes, sizes and temperamentsand how to interact with them.

If a child is home-schooled but has an active social life with activities, and group interactions, I think they could avoid any social problems

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image81
    Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years ago

Possibly, social problems occur when children are stuck in public school and learn all the deviated behaviors that develop there.  Have you ever wondered why the animals at the zoo seem a little neurotic?

5. celeste inscribed profile image89
    celeste inscribedposted 5 years ago

My son attends a virtual academy which he attends from home. Once he is done with school he goes to a social club in our neighborhood. This is only our second year with the academy. I can truthfully say that my son is a well rounded, outgoing, social kid who is doing just fine as a student at home. He is not lonely and is far more relaxed about school. He is confident and applied for a position as junior staff member at his Boys and Girls club this year. I say all of this from my point of view only, but it really depends on the child's personality and the family dynamics.