What's the most valuable piece of information you ever learned in school?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)
  1. theclevercat profile image89
    theclevercatposted 11 years ago

What's the most valuable piece of information you ever learned in school?

2. John Sarkis profile image82
    John Sarkisposted 11 years ago

Hi theclevercat, Strangely enough, I would say hands down my love for classical music.  ...not sure if this can be considered valuable or not - well, it's 'valuable' to me anyways.  It was through Jr. High school that I became interested in classical music (classical music is not typically the music of choice among Latinos, so I may have never become acquainted with it had it not been through school).

3. sinebobo profile image61
    sineboboposted 11 years ago

learn how to play volley ball, also how to relate with people of different background

4. donnah75 profile image92
    donnah75posted 11 years ago

I am sure there were many, many, many things.  One I am most glad I learned.... how to type.  It is an invaluable skill for me in my daily life.

1. connorj profile image70
      connorjposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree; I never fathomed that getting booted out of typing class would come back to haught me so significantly...

5. newcalendar profile image60
    newcalendarposted 11 years ago

It's funny as I couldn't wait to leave but it would be my passion for writing. I had an exceptional teacher in my 6th year who encouraged me to do it constantly and said 'just write whatever you want to'.

6. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

The only constant in life is change.  I learned this in college when I was studying Geology.  Before that, I never realized that the earth itself is always in constant motion, thus, even the ground under our feet is not as firm as we think it is!

7. flashmakeit profile image60
    flashmakeitposted 11 years ago

I think the most valuable information I ever learned in school was the lessons on how to read because without that skill I would not be able to learn anything.

8. wandererh profile image67
    wandererhposted 11 years ago

This question reminds me of a particular science class in high school taught by Mr Ng.  The topic was atomic fission and Mr Ng made a statement about fission that was obviously wrong.  I can't remember what he said but I knew that he was wrong as I had done some reading outside of class.  I think it was then that I learnt that teachers are human and fallible just like the rest of us.

Or, to put it in a wider perspective, those that are in positions authority or power are not necessarily that much better than the rest of us and that they may not always know what is best.

9. securityproducts3 profile image39
    securityproducts3posted 11 years ago

School has taught me many valuable things, but with time most of these things are forgotten. This is not a waste, however, because by striving to always learn you build a work ethic that will last a lifetime.

10. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

Studying Art at University I have learnt the truth about Artistic Creation. The truth is none of us fully knows the sense of everything we do or think, and the situation is even more hard to explain for the artist who operates at intuitive and imaginative levels partly at least below the radar of rational self-consciousness. I have been taught never to feel I have to explain myself, let my piece of work to do the explanation for me:)

11. dghbrh profile image80
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

Many things were learnt which became handy to lead a happy life. Thanks to all my teachers. The most valuable piece of information was in grade IV from our then maths teacher and it was about 'importance of revision' which makes life much easier and perfect.

12. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 11 years ago

I would have to conclude that an Einstein quote shared with me when I was in high school would be the most important... (one I did not fully understand until in graduate school);

"Imagination is more important than knowledge!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)