jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)

What's the most valuable piece of information you ever learned in school?

1. theclevercat profile image94
    theclevercatposted 5 years ago

What's the most valuable piece of information you ever learned in school?

2. John Sarkis profile image84
    John Sarkisposted 5 years ago

Hi theclevercat, Strangely enough, I would say hands down my love for classical music.  ...not sure if this can be considered valuable or not - well, it's 'valuable' to me anyways.  It was through Jr. High school that I became interested in classical music (classical music is not typically the music of choice among Latinos, so I may have never become acquainted with it had it not been through school).

3. sinebobo profile image59
    sineboboposted 5 years ago

learn how to play volley ball, also how to relate with people of different background

4. donnah75 profile image97
    donnah75posted 5 years ago

I am sure there were many, many, many things.  One I am most glad I learned.... how to type.  It is an invaluable skill for me in my daily life.

1. connorj profile image77
      connorjposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree; I never fathomed that getting booted out of typing class would come back to haught me so significantly...

5. newcalendar profile image68
    newcalendarposted 5 years ago

It's funny as I couldn't wait to leave but it would be my passion for writing. I had an exceptional teacher in my 6th year who encouraged me to do it constantly and said 'just write whatever you want to'.

6. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image97
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

The only constant in life is change.  I learned this in college when I was studying Geology.  Before that, I never realized that the earth itself is always in constant motion, thus, even the ground under our feet is not as firm as we think it is!

7. flashmakeit profile image68
    flashmakeitposted 5 years ago

I think the most valuable information I ever learned in school was the lessons on how to read because without that skill I would not be able to learn anything.

8. wandererh profile image74
    wandererhposted 5 years ago

This question reminds me of a particular science class in high school taught by Mr Ng.  The topic was atomic fission and Mr Ng made a statement about fission that was obviously wrong.  I can't remember what he said but I knew that he was wrong as I had done some reading outside of class.  I think it was then that I learnt that teachers are human and fallible just like the rest of us.

Or, to put it in a wider perspective, those that are in positions authority or power are not necessarily that much better than the rest of us and that they may not always know what is best.

9. securityproducts3 profile image39
    securityproducts3posted 5 years ago

School has taught me many valuable things, but with time most of these things are forgotten. This is not a waste, however, because by striving to always learn you build a work ethic that will last a lifetime.

10. Beata Stasak profile image84
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

Studying Art at University I have learnt the truth about Artistic Creation. The truth is none of us fully knows the sense of everything we do or think, and the situation is even more hard to explain for the artist who operates at intuitive and imaginative levels partly at least below the radar of rational self-consciousness. I have been taught never to feel I have to explain myself, let my piece of work to do the explanation for me:)

11. dghbrh profile image78
    dghbrhposted 5 years ago

Many things were learnt which became handy to lead a happy life. Thanks to all my teachers. The most valuable piece of information was in grade IV from our then maths teacher and it was about 'importance of revision' which makes life much easier and perfect.

12. connorj profile image77
    connorjposted 5 years ago

I would have to conclude that an Einstein quote shared with me when I was in high school would be the most important... (one I did not fully understand until in graduate school);

"Imagination is more important than knowledge!"

working