jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Whats more important-Education or life-experience??

1. belleart profile image88
    belleartposted 5 years ago

Whats more important-Education or life-experience??

I Have been in education for the past three years-hopefully not finishing anytime time soon either- but my younger sister doesn't seem to want to go to college instead opting for 'life experience' which she certainly does get (now travelling and camping around Europe)  but which is more important?  Genuine question

2. pramodgokhale profile image48
    pramodgokhaleposted 5 years ago

Education is very important, means minimum higher  secondary school or vocational trade and there after you set the tone or direction of your life.later will be life experience.

1. belleart profile image88
      belleartposted 5 years agoin reply to this

thanks for all the comments, its been very helpful.  I feel assured that education is my calling smile

3. sriparna profile image81
    sriparnaposted 5 years ago

Education is extremely important, life experience (such as travelling, camping, social work) will definitely be an added advantage. One might take a gap year to explore some new areas and discover new strengths and interests in oneself, but must consider going to college for a formal higher education as a long-term goal. Missing out on this will shut down a lot of doors and later, one may feel repentence, I have seen these kind of students, so would genuinely advice to continue education in the field of your interest. All the best!

4. belleart profile image88
    belleartposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the answers.  they have been very helpful smile

5. backporchstories profile image81
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

Education ranks up there pretty high, however, there are hands on knowledge that is also invaluable, which is gained through "life experiences".  What is really important is what you do with what knowledge you have, rather it be book smart or street smart or even both!

6. Volitans profile image81
    Volitansposted 5 years ago

Important for what? In terms of employment, you need both. If you don't have an education, many employers don't care what your life experience is. You might have written several books and know everything there is to know about your industry, but if you don't have that diploma your application won't even get looked at.

On the other hand, education without experience doesn't get you very far either. In today's hypercompetitive job market, having a diploma just lets you in the door. A diploma alone doesn't give you much advantage, because everyone else applying for that job has one too. Without some experience to separate yourself from the pack, you won't get anywhere.

Life experiences are certainly important, but they shouldn't be pursued at the expense of education. There are plenty of ways to get life experience and pursue an education at the same time. Become an exchange student, volunteer, take an internship, travel in between semesters... There's really no need to choose between life experience and education.

7. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 19 months ago

Dennis Prager has a list of things you need at least a master's degree to believe, especially in the liberal arts that have become more about indoctrination in holding the official laundry list of liberal ideas than critical thinking or any skills of value.
    In that regard, life experience matters more than education.

working