jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What are the POSITIVE qualities that only children possess that other children d

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

What are the POSITIVE qualities that only children possess that other children do not?

2. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 5 years ago

Since they are forced to find playmates outside the home from a young age, they could develop more confidence in social situations and be better at approaching strangers.  If you grow up with siblings close enough to your age, there is less imperative for you to make new acquaintances all the time since you have built-in friends at home.

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There YOU go!   This is the reason why many only children are more universalistic in their approach to life.   We onlies had varied types of playmates as children.  This reasoning also explains why children with siblings are extremely clannish!

3. Beata Stasak profile image85
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

Social skills are very important, but I believe imagination and creativity help children to get through the first obstacles in life more easily (with an imaginative friend on their side:)

We onlies are excellent bar none in using our creativity and imagination.   Only children are the MOST CREATIVE and IMAGINATIVE people in the world!    I was BLESSED to be an only child. I was free to be ME and not encumbered with sibling expectation

4. profile image0
    danielabramposted 5 years ago

A sense of innocence, freedom, curiosity, and vulnerability to the larger world

5. profile image58
    Clementine8posted 5 years ago

I don't think you can lump all only children into one category. All children possess many different personality traits and positive attributes depending on their family life, parenting style, natural temperament etc..
    In my classrooms I have children who have siblings but will not share and like to play alone, then I have only children who are the same.
    I also have only children with great social skills and others who are very shy. We all have natural temperaments, some are outgoing, some are quiet yet enjoy art or reading etc..Then we learn from those around us. If a parent shares with their child a child will learn to share, if a parent listens and gives a child time and attention a child will learn they are appreciated and their ideas are valued, if a parent talks to others in a kind a giving way a child will learn to be kind and giving. A child learns from good role models.

Great answer, so true!

working