jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Which extreme would you choose?

1. stanwshura profile image74
    stanwshuraposted 5 years ago

Which extreme would you choose?

If you could choose to experience, for one "day" to see (or be!) either of a dimension or scale so vast, you would dwarf galaxies and as such be able to see into reaches of space mankind can only drool over, OR would you choose to be as infinitely small as to experience subatomic size and bear witness to the goings-on thereof?

2. ThompsonPen profile image79
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

I am of the firm belief of as below, so above. I think that the best way to gain the secrets of the Universe is to be tiny, though just because one is small enough doesn't mean one might be able to make sense of everything.
    But a very interesting question! I dig it1

stanwshuraposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks smile   I haven't so much pondered this as a question so much as pined, over and over and over again - to be able to experience either at my leisure!

3. Caleb DRC profile image80
    Caleb DRCposted 5 years ago

Well, if I have to choose, I would say the extremely small. It is not necessarily because the large scale structure of the universe would be less interesting or fascinating, but we have discovered more aspects of the quantum realm; therefore, there are more interesting things to check out. This would probably be true of the macro realm if we had as much knowledge about it as we do the micro realm.

I would like to be small enough to check out the structure of space, and how it fits into the information available for the electromagnetic force to access. I would like to see how an electron can be two places at the same time, and how virtual particles pop into out out of existence, and from exactly where. I would like to see superstrings---up close and personal---and enter into their other spacial dimensions . . . wow! can you imagine what that would be like?  Having 3 times the dimensions?  And what is going on in those dimensions?  I would like to see exactly what quarks are doing in protons, and how they are structured.

Oh, I could add a hundred more things to this list, but you get the idea.

stanwshuraposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Right?  I eat this stuff up!  I do get a little frustrated with a paradox I'm not sure has an answer:  how gain space, time, or anything go on *infinitely*, but yet, if either ends, what is BEYOND that endpoint.   Eeeeeeep!!

working