What is the one book you could read over and over and it never gets old?

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (51 posts)
  1. milleramanda53 profile image76
    milleramanda53posted 6 years ago

What is the one book you could read over and over and it never gets old?

2. Sushma Webber profile image82
    Sushma Webberposted 6 years ago

At the Feet of the Master by Alcyone (J. Krishnamurti)

3. paul pruel profile image70
    paul pruelposted 6 years ago

The Holy Bible - I always love to read it everyday in my life.

4. nifwlseirff profile image96
    nifwlseirffposted 6 years ago

For me, it is the Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. It has such deep and detailed story, and an old, large world, rich with cultures, languages and a complex history. I find the minor characters more interesting than the main ones. Different aspects of middle earth capture my attention and imagination each time I read it. Although I have read (and re-read) a mountain of other fantasy novels, LotR is the only one that remains fresh and interesting after re-reading multiple times.

1. cfjots profile image91
      cfjotsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have never read Lord of the Rings and that is book I need to read next. It sounds very interesting.

2. RNMSN profile image88
      RNMSNposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree! And I learn something new every time...Tolkien wrote during such a time of upheaval in our own world and all that he saw,heard and personally learned went into the trilogy of the rings

3. btrbell profile image91
      btrbellposted 6 years agoin reply to this

a great read!

5. Wesley Meacham profile image92
    Wesley Meachamposted 6 years ago

Maybe The Stand.
    I've read To Have and Have Not a few times. I could read it again.

6. ChitrangadaSharan profile image61
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 6 years ago

The epic 'Ramayan'--although I know the story by heart, each time I read with the same interest. Each time I learn something new.

7. KBEvolve profile image74
    KBEvolveposted 6 years ago

The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi

8. Twilight Lawns profile image81
    Twilight Lawnsposted 6 years ago

'Winnie the Pooh' and 'The House at Pooh Corner'.
    What else?

9. Woody Marx profile image70
    Woody Marxposted 6 years ago

The Book of Life.  It's not bound in paper and you cannot find it at the library.  It's the book I try to read everyday and find it's never the same.  Sometimes it seems to be written in a language I cannot understand (those are the bad days) and sometimes it is all color-filled illustrations by great artists (the great days) but it is always interesting and I never tire of 'reading' the Book of Life!  smile

10. Anil and Honey profile image64
    Anil and Honeyposted 6 years ago

some books are not merely a book, that may be a good friend,lover or a  guardian.
    good question

11. cfjots profile image91
    cfjotsposted 6 years ago

Well this is more than one book, but I have to say all The Harry Potter books. They are so much fun and the stories keep the reader involved. You love and care for all the characters and are rooting for them all the way. There is comedy and drama something for everyone. The stories entertain young and old and they can be read over and over and still have you wanting to read them again. That is the sign of a great book or books should I say.

12. dazzlede profile image61
    dazzledeposted 6 years ago

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. It seems to be set in an era that fits all times and the underlying psychology of all the characters inspires anytime.

13. nenytridiana profile image61
    nenytridianaposted 6 years ago

The Prophet, one of Kahlil Gibran books. Every book that gave me a refreshment and motivation. For me books are soul food, some are sweet, some are bitter.
    I like to say that the most entertaining is Al Qur'an, but it is not a book, more than just a book.

1. marshacanada profile image75
      marshacanadaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

When I was in University me and my friends were reading "The Prophet" We loved it for the philosophy, the poetry and the drawings.

14. mactavers profile image91
    mactaversposted 6 years ago

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.  Second Favorite is The Great Gadsby F. Scott Fitzgerald

15. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 6 years ago

The Secret and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. How about you?

16. old albion profile image71
    old albionposted 6 years ago

Without doubt for me it would be 'Past Forgetting' by Kay Sumersbee Morgan. Kay was Eisenhower's driver during the build up to the invasion of Europe. So started a wonderful affair. She wrote the book after the war. A true wartime romance, the reader is taken to their Hideaway in the country, where we  meet their little dog and so much more. The personal anguish of Ike, when he knows he is sending so many men to their deaths. I'll say no more - try and get it you can you'll be glad you did.
    Graham.

1. wetnosedogs profile image60
      wetnosedogsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Don't know why this great little review peeked my interest, but i really have to hunt up this book and read it. I think it was the "personal anguish".  Good to know they really care. Thanks.

17. nanderson500 profile image86
    nanderson500posted 6 years ago

Mine would be The Stand by Stephen King, even though it's really long.

18. JayeWisdom profile image91
    JayeWisdomposted 6 years ago

I own the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes stories. It's actually a two-volume set rather than one book, but contains the entire Holmes canon. As a long-time "Sherlockian", I never get tired of re-reading the stories of that brilliant and eccentric detective. By this time, I know each story well, but still enjoy them.

19. wetnosedogs profile image60
    wetnosedogsposted 6 years ago

A Separate Peace by John Knowles. And books by Mary Roberts Rinehart.

20. Laura Schneider profile image91
    Laura Schneiderposted 6 years ago

Strunk & White's "The Elements of Style" (I'm a total geek, I know).

21. whonunuwho profile image75
    whonunuwhoposted 6 years ago

I would say the Holy Bible, even though old, its message is always as new as those who may have never read its pages. "To Kill a Mockingbird", By Harper Lee, and the works of Hemingway, Faulkner, and Steinbeck, are among my favorites. I suppose I like the Harper Lee novel so much is that I identify with the times and places , and humanistic nature of its pages, and it to be always in a special place in my most fondest of memories.

1. kathyjones1952@at profile image61
      kathyjones1952@atposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The bible is a very good book!!!!  I also love To Kill A Mockingbird smile!

22. The RV Guy profile image68
    The RV Guyposted 6 years ago

The only book I've ever re-read and will read again some day is "The Green Mile" by word master S. King...

1. Twilight Lawns profile image81
      Twilight Lawnsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I've never read it, but I have seen the movie innumerable times.  Amazing story.

23. Imogen French profile image86
    Imogen Frenchposted 6 years ago

There are a few books that I have loved so much that I had to re-read them:
    "One hundred years of solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I have read this three times, just because it's just an amazing and magical story.
    "Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse, because it is full of timeless wisdom ...
    ... and currently re-reading "The Life of Pi" by Yann Martell, which is coming out as a film soon.

24. sparklingcrystal profile image76
    sparklingcrystalposted 6 years ago

It's actually a series that I can read over and over again. It's the Harry Potter series. I find the series both educational and entertaining and something that the kids and adults would really enjoy reading. When I read the books I find myself lost in the real world and can visualize the scene and imagine the events as the story goes.

25. Motts profile image60
    Mottsposted 6 years ago

Atlasshrugged by Ayn Rand.This is such a book which will make us or the reader to percieve things differently whenever you read it.

26. btrbell profile image91
    btrbellposted 6 years ago

The House of the Spirits by Isabelle Allende. For me it never gets old. It i packed with so much and it spans generations, mixed with folklore and love. It is one of my favorite books and will always have a prominent place on my bookshelf and in my heart.

1. Frank Atanacio profile image81
      Frank Atanacioposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I loved the House of Spirits!  The movie was good but the book was so much better

27. Frank Atanacio profile image81
    Frank Atanacioposted 6 years ago

The book I actually read several times:  To Kill a Mockingbird..  even though there was a movie I still enjoy reading the book

28. moonfox profile image66
    moonfoxposted 6 years ago

1984, or maybe The Lord of The Rings. Both books never get old

29. NiaG profile image90
    NiaGposted 6 years ago

I can't seem to bring myself to read a book twice. It's like how some people don't want to eat leftovers I guess. For some reason I feel that I remember everything in it so why bother. I think as a child I did read some books more than once. I bet you if I attempted to read a book twice I'd be surprised how much of the little things I forgot. I should try it.

1. Twilight Lawns profile image81
      Twilight Lawnsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I often read a book more than once and can't remember a thing about it, while I am actually reading it and I'm thinking, "What happens next?", although if you were to ask me about it in conversation  could really discuss it in detail.

30. Mama Kim 8 profile image91
    Mama Kim 8posted 6 years ago

If we are just talking fictional then I'm not one to read something twice. My memory is pretty good and it gets on my nerves when I remember too much of what I'm reading. Although there is one book I've read four times despite this and that is Prey by Michael Crichton.   Oh and I read the same books over and over to my son, Goodnight Moon is one of his favorites ^_^

1. That Grrl profile image78
      That Grrlposted 6 years agoin reply to this

There are very few I would read twice too. But, the odd book has so much packed into it that you can still find something new after reading it over and over again. Those are the best.

31. B. A. Williams profile image71
    B. A. Williamsposted 6 years ago

Andrew Fox's book Fat White Vampire Blues or any Sidney Sheldon books

32. That Grrl profile image78
    That Grrlposted 6 years ago

Shirley Jackson - "We Have Always Lived in the Castle".

33. PurvisBobbi44 profile image82
    PurvisBobbi44posted 6 years ago

The Bible-- I have been reading the Bible since I was four years old, and I find new
    strength to help me live my life--- every time I read it.

34. marshacanada profile image75
    marshacanadaposted 6 years ago

I often re-read books that I like.Lately I read "The Hunger Games" twice and I have read The Lord of the Rings four times. But the books I have re-read most often are Margaret Atwoods "Orx and Crake", and "Year of the Flood"-in that order.They are brilliant sci-fi novels,exciting, funny, dramatic, tragic, heroic books. The second is a sequel to the first,written by the auther following popular demand.

1. marshacanada profile image75
      marshacanadaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

OOps I miss-spelled ORYX in my comment above-sorry.

35. kathyjones1952@at profile image61
    kathyjones1952@atposted 6 years ago

"To Kill A Mockingbird", one of my all time favorites smile!

36. milleramanda53 profile image76
    milleramanda53posted 6 years ago

Thank you all for your awesome answers... As for myself I would have to say my favorite is "Great Expectations" however the best books ever that never get old are the ones that my children write for me... smile

1. wetnosedogs profile image60
      wetnosedogsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Very sweet answer regarding your children.

2. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I second what wetnosedogs (great name!) said.

3. Laura Schneider profile image91
      Laura Schneiderposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I third wetnose dogs, also!

Excellent, intelligent children! You must be an awesome mom to raise such smart and thoughtful kids.

37. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 6 years ago

To Kill a Mockingbird. I go back to it every year.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)