jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

To those of us who are only children, do you feel that those with siblings do

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

To those of us  who are only children, do you feel that  those with siblings do not understand

and/or tend to misjudge us?

2. Alecia Murphy profile image79
    Alecia Murphyposted 5 years ago

In some ways yes, they do not understand. The most common response I get is, "Oh you're so lucky. I wish I was one." And I usually respond by saying, "No you don't." I think those with siblings seem to go by the one-dimensional idea of getting your own space and not sharing things. However, sharing and sharing space is a huge part of growing up. In fact when I went to college, I was looking forward to having a roommate. We didn't have to be the best of friends, but I wanted to learn the compromise of what it's like to share with someone. I believe I am good with sharing but had I had siblings I think it would be more innate.

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have found that the average person w/siblings can be very negative towards only children.   Many people with siblings portend that we onlies have "something missing".     They tend to inflict their sibling psychology upon the only child population.

3. alifeofdesign profile image93
    alifeofdesignposted 5 years ago

Each of us has our own preconceived notions regarding only children. I think those with siblings assume many a false belief regarding only children, just as I think only children assume things pertaining to those with siblings.

I have often been ask over the years (by many people for a variety of reasons) if, as an only child, I was lonely. I always found that questions to be strange and yet interesting. The assumption that an only child is lonesome because there are no brothers and sisters to interact with is understandable and yet, in my case, couldn't be further from my reality. I didn't know anything other than being by myself. I was fortunate to grow up closely with a few cousins, but for the most part I was alone when I presume, brothers and sisters would be together.

Growing up as an only child has many benefits. When asked by a couple that were considering only having a single child if I thought not having siblings was detrimental, I simply replied, "I enjoyed my childhood".

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for this MOST POSITIVE comment.    We onlies need to educate the sibling population that only children are just as good as they are.   Maybe you should write a hub regarding this!    Being an only child DOES have a MYRIAD of benefits, amen!

working