jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

How do you use Accelerated Reader tests at home without losing test fidelity?

1. arizonataylor profile image82
    arizonataylorposted 5 years ago

How do you use Accelerated Reader tests at home without losing test fidelity?

2. professorjeff profile image74
    professorjeffposted 5 years ago

By 'accelerated' do you mean the tests are shorter or the prep time? And any time you speed something up, you have a good chance of loosing knowledge, which is the critical issue here. Speed in testing, reading, school is a much over-rated concept and often, if not all the time, an inhibitor to fidelity, if by fidelity you mean accuracy and stickiness of learning. Testing is often over-rated as well, for students in taking tests are often extrinsically motivated or motivated by the grade not the material. Take the testing away and most students learn better, thus the stickiness of the material is greater. There is so much wrong in standard testing, but it is often the only way many feel they can gauge the level of the student's understanding or comprehension of the mater. Not true, but that's another topic.

arizonataylorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Accelerated Reader is a program that tests reading comprehension.

3. DrAndrea profile image60
    DrAndreaposted 5 years ago

I have used the Accelerated Reader program in the past as a teacher. We did not have access to the questions in advance. The students were required to read books in their reading level. The students would take a comprehension based test on the computer in class when they felt ready. Prior to them testing, they could be asked random questions about the book. Many times, I would allow students who read the same book to quiz each other orally prior to taking the test. It was up to the teacher if a grade was taken for it.

I am not sure what question you are asking since the tests were not usually available at home.

It’s now being marketed as an online program, one that can be accessed from any computer.  Students can now go onto Accelerated Reader at home.

2. DrAndrea profile image60
      DrAndreaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. How are teachers using the A.R. program then if it is available at home, or it is used for extra reinforcement for comprehension? I see your concern.

3. arizonataylor profile image82

The online version isn't live yet, so we don't know how it's going to work.  We're concerned about it though.  Unfortunately, Accelerated Reader is largely forcing people to use the online version if they want to continue using the program.

working