jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is education, a progressive discovery of our own ignorance?

1. ahmed.b profile image78
    ahmed.bposted 5 years ago

Is education, a progressive discovery of our own ignorance?

2. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

Dear friend,
    It would have helped if you had included a further explanation of what you mean exactly. As I understand the question, I must say NAY! Ther purpose of education is to provide the means by which a nation can become knowledgeable, which in turn maintains the country's credibility and social level amongst its neighbours  high.
    As far as I'm concerened, through education we discover how much more intelligent we become, how our social skills improve and generally, have a more optimistic view of life.
    I do believe it is the direction in which politicians and politics steer us and how the few take advantage of the many that make for a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. What do you think?

3. whonunuwho profile image80
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

I would say that in seeking education, we as a people, are trying to better ourselves and absolve our ignorance, and much because we have not had exposure to the best ways and effective ones, in resolving problems that we may face. We certainly don't have to look too far or hard, in finding just how we have been ignorant and backward in our ideas and actions in the past. Thank goodness a few have not been so guilty and have been intuitive and used their god given intelligence to meet the challenges of this life.

4. Buzzbee profile image72
    Buzzbeeposted 5 years ago

Interesting idea!

I was going to say I think it brainwashes us but I like your idea better!

5. pmorries profile image79
    pmorriesposted 5 years ago

I would have to say that your point is  valid in some circumstances. There are some very smart people out there that can't  read. Also, I am not sure that I buy the argument that the more educated someone is, the more moral they are (not that you made that argument).

6. conradofontanilla profile image83
    conradofontanillaposted 5 years ago

Education consists in accumulating knowledge by description and knowledge by acquaintance and attribution of value on them. Education should result in the use of knowledge for the good. Early on education is a discovery of our ignorance; later on it is a deliberate reduction of the lack of knowledge. read more

7. Jim Bros profile image54
    Jim Brosposted 4 years ago

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
    -Will Durant
    (now that should shut up a few smart-asses!
    starting with me :-)

working