jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

To any teachers out there:

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

To any teachers out there:

What is the most ridiculous excuse you've ever heard a child offer for failure to turn in an assignment?

2. Paul Kuehn profile image93
    Paul Kuehnposted 5 years ago

One student told me one time that her dog ate the homework which she had just finished and was getting ready to submit!!

1. melbel profile image96
      melbelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

My dog actually did eat my homework once. My teacher didn't believe me. sad

3. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

A student told me he couldn't do his homework because grandma sold his book at the garage sale.

4. nifwlseirff profile image97
    nifwlseirffposted 5 years ago

My favourite - one student reported that their disk was damaged because it was on the back of the seat in the car's window, and burnt in the summer sun.
    But I've had so many fantastic excuses when teaching in IT at uni:
    The car was stolen containing all uni work and books (this was actually legit - gave me the police report to prove it!)  One moved house and couldn't find the box in time. One returned from a holiday to find the house robbed, including text books and computer. The living room flooded and destroyed everything that was paper and wood (and the computer). Lightning destroyed the computer. A virus (computer) corrupted the file. Parents re-installed the computer without backing up documents/work. Spilled coke on the keyboard (couldn't type), or on their floppy disk in their bag. And so many more!

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

A student once told me that his mother didn't have time to do his homework for him!

6. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

Actually, it was the parent, who told me he could no longer do his kid's homework for him because the algebra was over his head. Then he asked why we gave homework, anyway, because it was supposed to be done at school and the parents were not being paid for extra help!!!

7. Mazzy Bolero profile image80
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

One student told me he couldn't do his homework because his house burnt down.  I thought he was just trying to be funny but I later learnt his house really had burnt down.

DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that's sad--but when I was in junior high, a kid in my class came up with this classic:  "I put my homework inside the piano to keep my little brother from getting it, and last night, our piano burned down."
      The whole class was in stitches!

8. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

"Miss we had visitors over and I had to entertain" from a 9 year old.

9. Beata Stasak profile image84
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

It was an assignment about sustainable living and a student in question had not managed to complete his assignment because he didn't want to waste paper....

DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's a real "gotcha!" answer, and, he had a viable point, considering the nature of the assignment.  Hahaha..  I'd have given extra points for creativity and ecological responsibility.  ;-)
      (Way to go paperless:  require oral presentations!)  ;-)

Closed to reply

working