jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Who was your favorite teacher and why?

1. KevinC9998 profile image80
    KevinC9998posted 5 years ago

Who was your favorite teacher and why?

2. lone77star profile image85
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

I'm torn. I had 2 favorites.

My second first grade teacher was great because she was smart and compassionate. We moved from West Texas to Oregon in the middle of the school year. I had a horrible time in the reading circle. I remember holding my hand on the word "is" and saying it to myself over and over again, just in case I needed to distinguish it from "it." My teacher, Mrs. Young, originally thought I was just a poor student, until she looked over my math scores. I was at the top of the class and pushing the envelope on math. Not such a dummy, after all, she asked my parents if she could tutor me after class. Silly me, at the time I thought I was being punished. I didn't appreciate the gift. Years later, when my first novel was published, I sent her an autographed copy with my thanks.

My 11th grade World History teacher, Mrs. Hendry, was delightful. She was wisdom incarnate and brought history to life like no other. She hated the memorization of dates just for the sake of memorization. She did let us know that we would have to know some dates, but that the key to history was not dates, but motivation. I was hooked! I could feel the truth of that in my bones.

3. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Dr. Buckman, my psychology professor at community college. She had worked in so many different areas of psychology, and knew the material extremely well. What made her so great, she used psychology principles in her teachings. During her lectures, she would focus on the different methods of learning and use those to make sure everyone learned the material if they paid attention in class. There was no reason for reading the book as long as you listened and watched her. She made the class fun and exciting with projects and group debates about certain theories. She helped me choose my major, psychology of course, and has been a good friend of mine ever since.

4. Beata Stasak profile image84
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

The teacher in my 4th grade who encuraged me to follow my intuition when I write. Living in the communist era we have been taught to write only 'communist propaganda', but she told me a secret: 'Keep writing about nature and about love. Those are universal themes that communists can not find offensive." I still follow her advice when writing, although I have learnt to add the important social messages as well...now I can:)

working