jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Do you believe in corporal punishment?

1. KevinC9998 profile image77
    KevinC9998posted 5 years ago

Do you believe in corporal punishment?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I don't believe in corporal punishment.  I raised two really nice kids who are happy and productive adults without spanking them.

I think the idea of causing physical pain to a child to get them to behave is barbaric.

KevinC9998posted 5 years agoin reply to this

duffsmom: I I agree especially having been subjected to it myself as a young boy in Catholic school. It was, as you say, quite barbaric. Thanks for your comment.

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You have to define corporal punishment. A mild spanking is one thing, being beaten with a belt is something else. Corporal punishment in PE classes can get way out of hand in a hurry and often the people who deserve it the most, are never punished.

3. duffsmom profile image60
      duffsmomposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with both of you!

3. Michael Tully profile image60
    Michael Tullyposted 5 years ago

I do believe in corporal punishment. It can be applied in one of two ways: to inflict pain as a deterrent to future episodes of misbehavior, or as a means of deflating the child's ego and encouraging submission to parental authority.

As a child, I was corporally punished both ways. My mom used a switch to inflict stinging pain, while my dad only used a ping-pong paddle to apply a couple of mild swats to my backside. My mom would accompany the switching with explicit threats of similar treatment the next time I misbehaved. My dad would make no threats, but would express his disappointment that my misbehavior had made this paddling necessary. I personally found my dad's technique to be much more effective.

I believe that a child's misbehavior is often an affirmative expression of rebellion against parental authority, and a means of testing the limits of a parent's patience. The rebellious attitude and the testing will cease when the authority and the limits are clearly established.

I admire those parents, such as duffsmom, who succeed in maintaining parental authority by means other than corporal punishment. I just never managed to find the secret of doing so.

4. tussin profile image60
    tussinposted 5 years ago

I have seen it, so I believe in it.  It is certainly more believable than Santa Claus.

KevinC9998posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi Tussin- let me clarify- I meant do you believe it is an acceptable form of punishment?  I have seen it up close and personal and do not believe it is effective or should ever be warranted.

2. profile image51
      pinapple123posted 4 years agoin reply to this

you made me laugh. Thanks.

working