jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Will another man (or woman) step foot on the moon during our lifetimes?

1. tipstoretireearly profile image84
    tipstoretireearlyposted 5 years ago

Will another man (or woman) step foot on the moon during our lifetimes?

The last man to step foot on the moon was Eugene Cernan.  His boot touched the moon on December 11, 1972.  Incredibly, that was almost 40 years ago!

2. hockey8mn profile image74
    hockey8mnposted 5 years ago

I think something like that has become "out dated".  Since it has already been accomplished, I feel that the scientific community is just looking to accomplish the next first.  Perhaps, something like putting the first person on Mars.

1. John MacNab profile image83
      John MacNabposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with hockey8mn.   There is no point on putting another man on the moon.   Mars is the next destination and I think there will be a man on Mars during the present generation.   Of course, that will change if diamonds are discovered on the moon

3. Credence2 profile image80
    Credence2posted 5 years ago

We need to go back and hopefully within the next 15-20 years. The moon serves as a suitable training ground, stepping stone to Mars. We should be working on lunar bases for an extended stay. Whle unlikely, a launch from the moon to Mars would require less energy as not having to work against the Earth's gravity well. There is agreat deal to learn and resources to obtain that could make our next step into the heavens that much easier.

4. RVDaniels profile image77
    RVDanielsposted 4 years ago

Will someone go to the moon in the near future? The answer is probably yes because the Chinese and Japanese both are working towards manned lunar missions. India is also developing a space program and in The U.S. private business concerns are rapidly outstripping NASA  in spacecraft development. The next Americans on the moon and in the asteroid belt (mining!) may put a flag claiming part of the moon for Paul Allen or Richard Branson.