This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

What is the largest number that you can write with just three digits?

1. CWanamaker profile image99
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

What is the largest number that you can write with just three digits?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

999 (9 to the 9th power of 9). Work out the second and third powers first (9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9 = 387420489.) We can therefore restate the sum as 9387420489

3. Goody5 profile image64
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

The biggest number that I can think of that has 3 digits is "999K". You didn't say that I couldn't add a letter.

4. profile image0
    paxwillposted 5 years ago

If we're allowed to use common symbols, my guess is (9!)^[(9!)^(9!)], which has around 10^2017526 digits according to Wolfram Alpha.

Without common symbols, my guess is 9 to the power of 9-to-the-9th (written as a tower of powers).  Since we can't format superscripts in the Q&A section, it's 9^(9^9) written in "linear" notation.  This works out to a number with 369,693,100 digits.

(Not sure if this is the same as JThomp's answer)

1. tussin profile image60
      tussinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

With symbols there's no limit: 9!!!^(9!!!^9!!!), 9!!!!!!^(9!!!!!!^9!!!!!!)....

2. profile image0
      paxwillposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah, good point.

5. tussin profile image60
    tussinposted 5 years ago

I've seen this puzzle before and once had an argument with a guy who insisted that the only correct answer was 999, as in nine hundred ninety-nine.  He said anything else was "an expression that evaluates to a number" but not actually a "number." Don't know if he really bought this or was just trying to be smug, lol.

6. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 5 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7361682_f260.jpg

With three digits the largest number I can write is "ten" using 7 = T, 3 = E, and 2 = N.

7. Insane Mundane profile image61
    Insane Mundaneposted 5 years ago

The largest number you can write doesn't depend on the actual digits, but the limitations of your available font size at hand; ha!  For example, if you use the Nazca Lines method, you could write some really large numbers, even if it was a mere 111...

8. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

All of these answers that use "9" assume that the number is written in Base 10. Another common counting system is hexadecimal, or base sixteen. Not using any other symbol, it's highest 3-digit number is FFF, which translates into decimal as 15^3+15^2+15, or 3375+225+15, or 3,615.

But, of course, theoretically, any base is possible, so that the number in three digits could be infinitely high.

I'm beginning to wonder what CWanamaker was thinking when he wrote the question that has so many answers?

1. CWanamaker profile image99
      CWanamakerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good thinking outside of the box.  I should have been more specific in my question...there is a wide range of interpretations and answers given.

2. SidKemp profile image94
      SidKempposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, CWanamaker. I'd be really intrigued to see you post a new question, more precise, along the original lines of your inquiry.

9. lone77star profile image82
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

It depends on what base you're talking about and whether or not you're talking about a positional numbering system. In hex, it would be FFF. In decimal, 999.

But let's say you have base 1,000,000,000,000,000, and the highest single digit is represented by the asterisk. Then the largest 3-digit number would be ***. Converting *** to decimal (scientific notation) would yield 1.0e45-1.

But then you could create a base 1.0e45. Say it's highest single digit is #. Then the largest 3-digit number would be ### = 1.0e135-1 (decimal).

So, as you can see, the largest 3-digit number in any base is the highest single digit in that base used 3 times (in a positional numbering system).

1. SidKemp profile image94
      SidKempposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Lonestar! You picked up on my idea of using different bases and explained it well.

working