jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Do the warnings on medicine packages make us safer?

1. tirelesstraveler profile image80
    tirelesstravelerposted 5 years ago

Do the warnings on medicine packages make us safer?

A friend had a cold, bought some cold medicine and looked all over the package for the dose.  There were 5 of us who looked at the package. One of the 3 PhD's in the group said it only has one in the package so maybe that's the dose. Another PhD's said take two they are small.   I finally mentioned that the directions on garden products are usually hidden on page 5 of the booklet that you don't know came with the product until you see a tiny sign that says lift here.  The person holding the box looked.  There was a little tag that said lift here.  The directions were on page 4.

2. abbykorinnelee profile image75
    abbykorinneleeposted 5 years ago

I don't think they make them safer.  Along with what you stated, it depends on what else you are taking.  A lot of people don't consult the directions even, let alone a professional before taking over the counter medication with perscription medication.  Along with any underlying medical conditions you have or those you have and don't mention, or don't see on the directions.  Some of us can take more and not be affected and some can take the dosage recommended at have consequences.  Like the child that died from taking infant tylenol cough and cold medicine as directed.

tirelesstravelerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So true.

3. profile image58
    Jayesefposted 5 years ago

No. We go to the doc knowing very well he's going to give you poison.

1. travmaj profile image81
      travmajposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I find them scary - recently had some ointment prescribed for an allergy - the contraindications that 'may' happen were endless and frightening. I'd rather have the allergy.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image80

One of the drugs I took had both diarrhea and constipation as the side effects. Would that be a crap shoot?

4. xstatic profile image61
    xstaticposted 5 years ago

Only if we are able to read and understand them. There is a lot of CYA info included, but if you are ingesting something, it is a good idea to look at the directions and side effects, not to mention contraindications with drugs you may already be taking.

5. tillsontitan profile image88
    tillsontitanposted 5 years ago

I think xstatic hit the mark.  They have to list every possibility of every thing that may go wrong...unfortunately this sometimes scares older folks into not taking medications they need.  I think the best course is to ask your family doctor and get a straight answer.
    By the time you get to page 4 you're read to give up anyway!

6. catgypsy profile image79
    catgypsyposted 5 years ago

I think they do if you actually read them and follow them!

I have some medical background and get bogged down in the sheer volume of legalese.

2. catgypsy profile image79
      catgypsyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Haha...so true!

working