jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Do you think if we do not have "religions," the world will be a safer place to l

1. CarolineVABC profile image77
    CarolineVABCposted 7 years ago

Do you think if we do not have "religions," the world will be a safer place to live in? Why/why not?

2. MoneyManiac profile image61
    MoneyManiacposted 7 years ago

I'm totally atheistic person and didn't ever think that any religion could be harmful to our world. It's not about religion it's about wrong understanding of them.

3. profile image0
    bradfield27posted 7 years ago

I think people need religion in their lives. I tmakes them feel sucure and hopeful. However, I also think people let religion control their lives and become obsessive of what's right and wrong. Too many arguements and wars begin about they way ppl believe. If we can all live in peace with one another and have respect for other ppl I think religion is a wonderful celebration to enjoy.

4. juiwei2000 profile image61
    juiwei2000posted 7 years ago

Well, it depends.  It depends on the culture who believe in the religion and the religion itself. 

In the west for example, our main religion is Christian, however despite the fact Jesus says we must love both our friends and our enemy, during the age of the middle and dark ages, the west is known to have a violent history of killing each other due to different religion believe, even attacking people of none christian faith.  (Even today, we still portrail Jesus as white male with blond hair blue eye, where in reality we all know Jesus is black.)

Today on the other hand, Muslim faith believe that you should only be allow to fight defensive warfare and you can only fight war when you have no choice (e.g. when the soivet union attack Afghanistan during the cold war or when Iraq attacked other nations during the golf war.) yet today, Osama Binladin, launch Sepetember Eleven attack upon the US.

However, in the East, Buddhism ideology played a major role in assisting Asia to be a first world region throughout most of its history.  Mainly because Buddhism ideology believe in peace, freedom and equality and concept as stereotyping of any form is consider as a sin.  it created a culture during the days of the king, where in exchange for the people to be loyal to their king, is for the king to be loyal to his people and the king work as a public servant (like a president) and in public interest.

Other religion are problematic itself, e.g. scientology is a typical example.

5. jdomingo profile image61
    jdomingoposted 7 years ago

I'm a recently turned agnostic and now having been able to look from the outside in I can see how religion can benefit but also see that too many people let it control their lives.  I agree with some of the earlier answers but think 'religion' itself is detrimental to our society now that we live a more advanced day and age.  Were people able to not let it take over their lives and not become zealots we may be off with religion.

6. samuraipoet profile image56
    samuraipoetposted 7 years ago

The world would be a totally different place without religion, but I don't think it would be any safer. People don't need any help coming up with things to fight about. I think that in most cases the reasons we have violence don't come from the actual things or ideas that we fight over, but from the way that we're put together. We just have violent natures.

7. vinividivici profile image59
    vinividiviciposted 7 years ago

Till now, a religion-free world is a dream! It`s in our genome. Rapid development of science can change the whole scenario. But it would take thousands of years.

8. FduToit profile image68
    FduToitposted 7 years ago

Whether or not you belong to any organized religion it's hard to deny that many hopeless and desperate people have been able to live more fulfilled lives and even become an asset to society after finding "God". On the other hand, some moderate people become quite extreme and even dangerous thanks to their religion. So, it's a hard question to answer... But, I don't see how the world can be a safer place without religion.

9. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 7 years ago

I think religions do more harm than good.

10. profile image56
    cons11posted 7 years ago

i dont think religions cause any harm,yet i am an athiest so would not know what most religions are about in detail

11. dabeaner profile image56
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

There would be one less thing to fight about.  But, never fear, there will always be other cultural differences and resources to fight over and keep the race busy.

Closed to reply