jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Re:Lunar mining of helium3, most clean/abundant energy source, should it be oppo

1. cam8510 profile image96
    cam8510posted 5 years ago

Re:Lunar mining of helium3, most clean/abundant energy source, should it be opposed environmentally?

It is a forgone conclusion that other countries will go to the moon to mine helium3 soon.  Should America refuse to participate on environmental grounds or would this be national, economic suicide?

2. Ratihegde profile image61
    Ratihegdeposted 5 years ago

So human beings are not satisfied destroying Nature on Earth ... so they want to destroy it on the moon too? Hmmm .... no end to greed is there?

cam8510posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ratihedge-I really am neutral on this right now.  What if it is doable and the energy is clean?  Wouldn't that be good?  Much less oil drilling and dumping.  The moon will just pile up with more space dust after we smooth our mines over.

3. jonnycomelately profile image83
    jonnycomelatelyposted 5 years ago

Is there "nature" on the moon?  By "nature" here on earth, we mean the biological and geological mix which exists simultaneously with humans.  We have come to understand that our (humans') place needs to be understood in relation to the surrounding diversity, so we can continue existing without upsetting the balance.

Is there such a biological "mix" on the moon?   I suggest a categorical "no."  So there is no need to worry about the "environmental" aspects there in the same way as on earth.

Maybe the greater environmental consideration is how we deplete the resources of the earth in order to get a shipment of helium3 from the moon to the earth.   Will it be economical or practical to travel all that way, liquify the gas, or whatever you need to do, in order to get the substance to earth?

And for what ultimate benefit?   So that we can continue to use and abuse and squander the resources of our world without the slightest bit of thrift or responsibility?

Very good points jonnycomelately.  As I have been researching, the helium will sell for $3 a ton.  We need 26T/yr for the US alone.  What I have read is that this is enough to make it worth the money.  Interesting points about the moon/enviornment.

2. jonnycomelately profile image83
      jonnycomelatelyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

$3 per ton might be viable if someone was being paid a subsidy for it.....question is who from, who to and with who's money?  Maybe I am a born skeptic.

3. cam8510 profile image96

jonnycomelately, I completely messed that up.  It is $3 billion per ton.  I'm sorry.

working